13»

Replies

• Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Dave_C wrote: »
    The "free" holiday insurance is a joke and doesn't work for us as:
    a) Since redundancy, there is not enough external feed of money into the Flex account (internal transfers from savings don't count)
    Sorry to hear about your situation, though if you don't meet the T+Cs, it seems unfair to blame the account.
    b) As a holiday insurance it's cr*p
    Horses for courses, I think.

I had a look at the travel insurance.
    Plus points:
    - coverage for older account holders, not terminated at age 65 like so many other 'free' or paid-for policies;
    - wider range of coverage for pre-existing conditions, compared with other policies.
    Minus point:
    - coverage limited to Europe, though worldwide or other cover is available for a reasonable supplement.

If I hadn't already had great cover included with my AmEx platinum chargecard, it would have been a no-brainer (and will be should I cut up my AmEx card).
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your situation, though if you don't meet the T+Cs, it seems unfair to blame the account.Horses for courses, I think.

I had a look at the travel insurance.
    Plus points:
    - coverage for older account holders, not terminated at age 65 like so many other 'free' or paid-for policies;
    - wider range of coverage for pre-existing conditions, compared with other policies.
    Minus point:
    - coverage limited to Europe, though worldwide or other cover is available for a reasonable supplement.

If I hadn't already had great cover included with my AmEx platinum chargecard, it would have been a no-brainer (and will be should I cut up my AmEx card).

I don't remember the upgrade fees being that reasonable? I enquired about a winter sports upgrade and their fee was more expensive than buying a completely new policy elsewhere.

I do agree that their basic policy is more than adequate for the average holiday though.
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    I have a (largely dormant) Nationwide gold card and flex account but have to confess that I don't really understand the attraction of a credit card offering an extended warranty cover given the rights we all have under the Sales of Goods Acts anyway.. which can cover one for up to 6 years..

Having said that I guess I am in the fortunate position of having other 0% f/x cards and/or other cards with an extended warranty option should I wish to use either.

Regards
    Sunil

Presumably because it removes the hassle - and if I remember correctly, that clause only applies to the retailer and not the manufacturer?

You may be entitled to "up to" 6 years, but try telling the retailer that when it breaks down in the second year! Most don't want to know - and you may even need to take them to court to get a resolution.
  • dggardggar Forumite
    641 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    malcolmffc wrote: »
    Most of the people who used Nationwide for the free overseas spending weren't "loyal" customers though. They just kept a few pounds in their account to keep it open, and topped it up before going on holiday. I can completely understand why Nationwide got rid of the scheme.

A condition of the holiday insurance cover is that £750 is deposited each month.
    They should have made that a condition of the "No additional charge" use of ATMs (when abroad)with the Flexaccount debit card.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals