We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Grass killer?

Options
Morning all

I have some small / young (about 15cm) box hedging i have planted with gravel around the base.

The grass is making a bid to colonise this area and I wondered if anybody knew of any weed killers that I could use which would be safe around the young box hedging but kill off the grass?

Many thanks

Benjamin

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No , but if you'd planted them through landscaping fabric this wouldn't have happened. Most of the pre-emergent weedkillers have been banned, and those which remain are professional groundskeeper's products.

Gravel is a fairly poor suppressor of weeds. Others with experience of them might be able to recommend bark chips.

I just weed my new 100' beech hedge about once every few months and paint any large perennial weeds, like dandelions, with a mix of wallpaper paste and glyphosate.
  • thebyp
    thebyp Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The nature of the strip of hedging meant that the laying of ground sheet was just not practical, and I can't stand bark chips.

Think it might take a while to paint every blade of grass ;)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    thebyp wrote: »
    The nature of the strip of hedging meant that the laying of ground sheet was just not practical, and I can't stand bark chips.

Think it might take a while to paint every blade of grass ;)

That's why I didn't suggest you or I should do that. :)

There's this type of thing. Maybe someone who's used one might like to comment on how accident-proof it is in use!

http://www.hozelock.com/spraying/spares-accessories/weed-killer-cone.html
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just spray the grass on a still day/no drift. You will be able to do it no problem without spraying the hedging.
  • Invicta
    Invicta Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds as if the grass is growing up through the box?
    If so personally I wouldn't spray or use the "glove of death/paintbrush of doom" approach as I have found Box to be almost as sensitive to glyphos weedkillers as Roses are.
    I'd take the Box up, thorought weedout the Grass and any Grass roots then replace (I'm not a big fan of weedsuppresant membrane but that's just me).
    It also depends on what type of Grass - if it's couch grasss then I really don't envy you.

Incidentally the old guide for trimming Box is do it on, or shortly after, Derby Day to reduce the chances of Box blight.

Good luck,
    Bernard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family