MSE News: Below inflation pay rises predicted

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Workers in the UK will receive another below-inflation pay rise next year, a new report predicted today ..."

Comments

• nem39esis
    Options
    The article assumes all organisations will give a pay rise. im still on the same salary i was on 3 years ago, no inflation pay rise at all, effectively im on less than i was 3 years ago. The company makes profit year after year but gives none of it to employees. The same will happen next year. Its catch 22, the more money people have the more they spend and the economy benefits as a whole. If the government helped instead of facilitating price rises through increased tax and VAT im sure wed all be seeing an improvement.
  • shortchanged_2
    Options
    The problem is if you give pay rises in line with inflation it may well compound the problem further resulting in even higher inflation because inflation is currently being caused by external factors.

Also interesting to note is the group of people that are expected to get the biggest payrises. Now why doesn't that surprise me at all.

After all, we're all in this together.

myarse.gif
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Workers in the UK will receive another below-inflation pay rise next year, with firms budgeting for a 3% increase, a new report predicted today

But surely, if the forecasts are right, a 3% pay rise will be ABOVE inflation next year ?
  • shortchanged_2
    Options
    oldvicar wrote: »
    But surely, if the forecasts are right, a 3% pay rise will be ABOVE inflation next year ?

When was the last time you saw a correct forecast oldvicar. ;)
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    When was the last time you saw a correct forecast oldvicar. ;)

Can't remember!

I didn't say I believed the forecasts. I am presuming that inflation just might be a teeny tiny tad higher.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Remind those of us in small private sector employment what a payrise is again?
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • paulmapp8306
    Options
    Again - Im public sector (forces) and didnt get a rise in apr this year - and wont be getting one April next either.

Thats effectively a pay cut. At present I think anyone who actually gets a raise of any sort is doing well TBH, regardless of whether its below inflation.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Better off opting out of work, 5.2% rise for some
  • LadyMissA
    LadyMissA Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2011 at 2:48PM
    Options
    Never had more than 1% pay rise but then everyone got something different
  • Frozenace
    Frozenace Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    My salary including bonus went up by 21% since last year (from 28->36, IT industry). The year before +5%, the year before that -6% (+redundancy).

Still, my salary is supposedly still below the rate I could get if I switched jobs right now (and certainly lower than some of my friends).

I think if you're struggling to get 1%, then you should seek alternative means of income, such as a 2nd job, selling stuff online (which is what I do).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure