Sunflow Electric Heating Systems

Options

Comments

• DAVE26
    Options
    Good People.

Sunflow Ltd - I too was very taken with their spiel. Just what I wanted. They appear in my union magazine this month, August 2012. I too was concerned about there being no prices so I Googled them. Still no prices but I did spot an adjudication from the ASA (advertising standards authority) dated July 2012. The ASA ruled that sunflow ltd had put out an advert that made unsubstantiated claims about other types of heating and were ordered to remove the offending ad in its offensive form. I emailed the editor of my magazine suggesting colleagues should be warned, a sort of caveat emptor. I had an email back saying the ad in question had been removed and the ad that I and thousands of my colleagues are viewing is acceptable.
    I am even more determined to keep away from sunflow now Ive read these posts. I want storage heaters but not theirs. Thanks people. " a vulnerable oap"
  • wayneh73
    Options
    I also just read the advert on the back of my wifes Union magazine and thought that sounds good I'll google it. First thing I found was this forum and glad I did. £13000 for electric radiators and decommissioning a central heating system is extortionate!!! The best heating I have found and the only thing that adequately heats a very large conservatory in the winter is a portable calor gas heater. £70 for the heater and then approx £35 every 6 weeks for a new bottle.
  • Tony_Almond
    Tony_Almond Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 18 December 2012 at 2:57PM
    Options
    Suggest that this firm be avoided.

They are expensive (eg we are paying over £1500 for one radiator for our living room); ordered 18/10/12, we were told 4-6 weeks delivery and fitting was promised by Christmas (well, we assumed their rep meant Christmas 2012). There have now allegedly been manufacturing delays in Germany and we don't know when delivery will take place.

I've told Sunflow to cancel the order and return the £612 (ie 40% deposit we paid by cheque) but have not had a response. You ask, "why the hell did you pay by cheque", and the answer is that the firm's owner won't accept plastic! When asked why not, they have told me only that credit card interest rates are high (for customers), and this is true, but using Sunflow's method of payment by cash or cheque, you (and we) have no protection.

My suspicion (and I stress that it is no more than that) is that the card handling companies will not grant them card payment facilities.

I'm about to send yet another e-mail demanding my money back (but I am not optimistic) and will let you know the results.

Beware, also, of their advertising. Their on-line brochure states that “We are a family business that cares about our customers. With two generations working together and the third expressing a desire to join, we will remain involved and passionate about heating for many years to come. So it is important to get it right.”

This gave me the (rather misleading) impression that they are a well-established business - in fact they were registered no farther back than 2009!

Whilst this type of radiator certainly does seem to be extremely efficient and cost-effective, I would urge you to investigate carefully before using this company and insist on only using a credit card, for your own protection!

We all believe that we are worldly-wise and completely commercially savvy, but can still make mistakes. I suppose the moral of this story is that, if something looks too good to be true, it probably is!
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At least !!!!!! Turpin wore a mask.
    As it has been stated hundreds of times all electric heaters are 100% efficient, some have better control systems than others to regulate your room temperature. a £30 convector is as efficient as your £1500 radiator.
    If you need electric heaters go to a well known established manufacturer. Dimplex and Creda come to mind.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

It is certainly true that the radiators do seem extremely efficient and cost-effective,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the warning.

With regard to efficiency, they are certainly efficient - in fact 100% efficient. However every other electrical heater from a £10 fan heater upwards is equally as efficient as they are also 100% efficient.

Cost-effective they most certainly aint!!

If you don't get your money back, take them to the Small Claims Court - very easy, informal and cheap; and you will get your costs back.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    People unfortunately arrive at this thread usually after the deposit was paid and the contract has been made. Most .. .. at the risk of offending people are attracted to the glossy adverts and fail to do even schoolchild level thinking, if they did do even elementary arithmetic they would realise its 'hocus pocus'.

Just a minute or so spent going through realistic heating options and their costs would save a great deal of heartache and a lot of wasted hard earned cash. If anyone [particularly E7 users] feels they are unable to analyse the 2013 type improvements and their real world costings you should read this Dec 2012 post, before ringing the snake~oil~salesman.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Suggest that this firm be avoided.

They are expensive (eg we are paying over £1500 for one radiator for our living room); ordered 18/10/12, we were told 4-6 weeks delivery and fitting was promised by Christmas (well, we assumed their rep meant Christmas 2012). There have now allegedly been manufacturing delays in Germany and we don't know when delivery will take place.

I've told Sunflow to cancel the order and return the £612 (ie 40% deposit we paid by cheque) but have not had a response. You ask, "why the hell did you pay by cheque", and the answer is that the firm's owner won't accept plastic! When asked why not, they have told me only that credit card interest rates are high (for customers), and this is true, but using Sunflow's method of payment by cash or cheque, you (and we) have no protection.

My suspicion (and I stress that it is no more than that) is that the card handling companies will not grant them card payment facilities.

I'm about to send yet another e-mail demanding my money back (but I am not optimistic) and will let you know the results.

Beware, also, of their advertising. Their on-line brochure states that “We are a family business that cares about our customers. With two generations working together and the third expressing a desire to join, we will remain involved and passionate about heating for many years to come. So it is important to get it right.”

This gave me the (rather misleading) impression that they are a well-established business - in fact they were registered no farther back than 2009!

Whilst this type of radiator certainly does seem to be extremely efficient and cost-effective, I would urge you to investigate carefully before using this company and insist on only using a credit card, for your own protection!

We all believe that we are worldly-wise and completely commercially savvy, but can still make mistakes. I suppose the moral of this story is that, if something looks too good to be true, it probably is!

- who knows the real reason ?
    - my money is on CC protection
    - pay by credit card and you get your cash back and card issuer with power goes after Sunflow
    - pay by cheque, you lose that protection, Sunflow know it, they keep hold of the money and you have the old 'grind' of recovering your money
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Stenaresponder
    Options
    I have just purchased some radiators and yes they do cost a bit more than most other things. We can't have gas and every other type of system would cost a lot (very rural). Have had convectors and oil filled radiators and not keen on the temporary radiator things dotted about the house. The Sunflow radiators look good fixed to the wall and are working well.

No I am not an agent or sales person, firstly Sunflow UK are seriously poor at communication, they don't communicate with you, you have to with them. Their delivery estimate is out by 6 weeks and I had to do all the chasing. One radiator is the wrong size. No pre paper work giving fixing requirements because of their weight and no wiring requirements. When I asked about wiring I was firmly put in my place, "they all have 13amp plugs fitted", yes but one is identified as going in a bathroom!!!

Chase delivery time several times, get a midday which turns into 1.30pm. I will fit them said I, reasonably easy as long as you are strong and don't mind some trial and error as their handbook is sadly lacking. Brush up on your German as warning signs to prevent fire are in GERMAN.

Happy with heaters, seriously unhappy with SUNFLOW who seem arrogant.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    I have just purchased some radiators and yes they do cost a bit more than most other things. We can't have gas and every other type of system would cost a lot (very rural). Have had convectors and oil filled radiators and not keen on the temporary radiator things dotted about the house. The Sunflow radiators look good fixed to the wall and are working well.

No I am not an agent or sales person, firstly Sunflow UK are seriously poor at communication, they don't communicate with you, you have to with them. Their delivery estimate is out by 6 weeks and I had to do all the chasing. One radiator is the wrong size. No pre paper work giving fixing requirements because of their weight and no wiring requirements. When I asked about wiring I was firmly put in my place, "they all have 13amp plugs fitted", yes but one is identified as going in a bathroom!!!

Chase delivery time several times, get a midday which turns into 1.30pm. I will fit them said I, reasonably easy as long as you are strong and don't mind some trial and error as their handbook is sadly lacking. Brush up on your German as warning signs to prevent fire are in GERMAN.

Happy with heaters, seriously unhappy with SUNFLOW who seem arrogant.

Thanks for the input Stenaresponder.

BTW. I'm not aware that any of their range is IPX4 rated. Ref protection against solid objects, ie hand, finger, screwdriver, wire etc .. .. and protection against water, ie dripping vertical, dripping slanted, spraying, splashing, jetting, immersion etc.
  • LyndaP
    LyndaP Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just spoken to parents and they have ordered two radiators at £2000. Bit cross that they did n't tell me so I could have done some research for them. What does n't help is that Sunflow advertise in Saga mag and CSMA mag so OAP's assume they must be a good company with proper ethics. Just checked and they have paid by cheque. Quoted 6 - 8 weeks delivery as they are "very busy" following their "advertising campagns" in said mags.:(
    Just hope the radiators arrive on time and they work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure