Very basic accounts spreadsheet template?

Options
Hey,

I've searched through this forum and on google, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for though so hopefully someone here can help me?

I've started up as a freelance photographer to generate some cash in my free time. I done research on 'lite' accounts software packages or any available spreadsheet templates and they all seem more complicated than I require (i.e. I have no inventory, no costs of sales beyond my time, no employees etc).

Does anyone have (or can recommend) a simple spreadsheet template that I can use to track my finances? I know almost nothing about accounting (I'm learning of course :)) otherwise I'd attempt to make one myself, any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Adam

Comments

• Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The reason there are none is because accountancy and book-keeping were not invented with the spreadsheet. You need to learn what you need regarding records and basic accounts. Each person needs to arrive at a system that suits their own business. The best policy is to work back from what you need to submit to your accountant. Thus ask him/her what you need to do. Also there are evening classes in accounts for small businesses. I did one and found it very helpful.
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

A spreadsheet should be very simple to set up, assuming you know how spreadsheets work, but if you don't, it;s probably wise to keep away.

There are manual book-keeping methods, using A4 books, but having never used them, I can not say how good / bad they are. I would guess though, they would be suitable for a business with not too many inputs of money per day / week etc.

SimplexD is one option .. see link http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=28823506

There are other similar book methods too
  • badmumof1
    badmumof1 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Options
    this is also available on ebay too
    If You See Someone Without A Smile......
    Give Them One Of Yours
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A very simple, popular and free accounts package is the cash book from https://www.vtsoftware.com. It is downloadable from their website. It enables you to do very simple record keeping and analysis and comes with template chart of accounts to give you the basic headings for analysis. Also is very good for reconciling your bank account (i.e. balancing the bank statement balance against the software) to make sure you've recorded all your bank transactions properly. I'd really recommend you stay away from spreadsheets - far too easy to make errors.
  • property.advert
    Options
    Spreadsheets are fine for very basic accounts but you do need to both understand what is required and also understand spreadsheets. You cannot use spreadsheets if you are neither competent with their design and limitations nor lacking in knowledge of what you require them to do.
  • Simon_Simply
    Options
    The free accounts software mentioned by Pennywise looks interesting Alan but are you serious " (i.e. I have no inventory, no costs of sales beyond my time, no employees etc)." . Think again - cameras, computers, software, printing costs,traveling expensesetc are all business expenses. Even if the equipment was purchased before the business was established some expense would be justified. You can back-date purchases for the previous year. Costs of eqipment including cars can be ofset for tax in proportion to their use in the business. Best of luck.
  • Brassedoff
    Brassedoff Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    The free accounts software mentioned by Pennywise looks interesting Alan but are you serious " (i.e. I have no inventory, no costs of sales beyond my time, no employees etc)." . Think again - cameras, computers, software, printing costs,traveling expensesetc are all business expenses. Even if the equipment was purchased before the business was established some expense would be justified. You can back-date purchases for the previous year. Costs of eqipment including cars can be ofset for tax in proportion to their use in the business. Best of luck.

Accounts Portal is a free online system if you are only putting on one business. It will do everything, VAT, P&L, Balance Sheet etc.

https://www.accountsportal.com/
  • Sandragirl23
    Options
    I am currently self employed and using the Up2date Bookkeeping Speadsheet which works perfectly for me.

Got it sometime ago and have never had a problem with it. It seems to create all financial statements such as profit n loss, balance sheet automatically and you dont really need any accounting knowledge to use it.

Good Luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport