MSE News: What the Norwich & Peterborough takeover means for you

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"N&P has this week been taken over by Yorkshire Building Society, which means big changes for its customers ..."

Comments

• One assumes there was no payout to savers or borrowers ? As a member of both Yorkshire Building Society and N&P Building Society I don't believe I was asked to vote for this ? Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong here.
  • No payout.
    N&P vote was 22 August (as is the norm no vote was necessary at Yorkshire).
    I have/had accounts with both an received all correspondence in relation to the merger and the N&P vote.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It doesn't bother me either way as I don't live remotely close to any branches of either organisation, but was access to YBS branches not touted as a good reason to vote for the merger by N&P? That sounds a little deceitful (unless I've imagined this!).
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Hoping N&P don't drop their free card use overseas - only reason I opened an account with them!
    (I suspect it's gaining them a lot of new custom, so hopefully they'll keep it!)
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i find it really weird that we went for an obscure lender and now its part of yorkshire
    good thing is weve gone down to 4.99 so no tears lost here
  • Just gone and checked rates.
    With Peebo we were paying base rate + .59% for term - capped at 3%
    Yorkshire minimum interest rate is 3.19% - so an increase for me!!!:mad:
  • easteregg wrote: »
    One assumes there was no payout to savers or borrowers ? As a member of both Yorkshire Building Society and N&P Building Society I don't believe I was asked to vote for this ? Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong here.

I am a member of both and I was asked about the takeover. They sent out letters and voting forms earlier this year. I think that all savers must have got one.
    cross stitch cafe #90 UFO's 6 to finish in 2013, and loads of new kits to boot
    Refunded bank overdraft charges £915 :j
    SPC 2007-2008 #078 aim £500-£341.67
    SPC 2011-2012 #078 aim £500-£426.42
    SPC 2012-2013 #078aim £500 - TBC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business