We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
NHS Mental health - unbelievably terrible service (or lack of)
967stuart
Posts: 300 Forumite
To cut a long story short i have suffered with anxiety attacks on and off for a few years, after a recent health scare (cancer tests etc) I had a pretty bad run of them (basically you get a massive amount of adrenaline flooding your body/mind and panic sets in, this happens for no reason, you feel faint and your heart is beating so fast you think you could be having a heart attack) , they are extremely scary and unfortunately can last hours/days.
I recently plucked up the courage to go to the doctors about them (had a fear they would lock me up for tests lol),the doctor decided NOT to give me any tablets to take the edge off etc. and instead referred me to the mental heath department who according to the doctor would call me asap to discuss the issue.
^ That was 11-8-2011 (11th aug)
I finally received a call on the 2-9-2011 (2nd of sep) 23 days later
This is its self is pretty poor service considering the first question they asked me was - "are you suicidal" ................. errrrm 'No, but I honestly feel terribly sorry for people who might be having to wait 23days after they first tried to seek help'
I had to have a brief chat with a very poor speaking indian fellow who agreed it would be best that I see a counsellor 1 on 1 for a session just to see if there is any treatments they can help me with, he said I will be contacted by them in the coming days.
To date, I still haven't been given an appointment, it's currently 84 days since seeking help.
Im actually pretty stunned that people who could be far worse off than me could be just left in limbo.
Im really thankful that I haven't been suffering too badly with the attacks lately.
I recently plucked up the courage to go to the doctors about them (had a fear they would lock me up for tests lol),the doctor decided NOT to give me any tablets to take the edge off etc. and instead referred me to the mental heath department who according to the doctor would call me asap to discuss the issue.
^ That was 11-8-2011 (11th aug)
I finally received a call on the 2-9-2011 (2nd of sep) 23 days later
This is its self is pretty poor service considering the first question they asked me was - "are you suicidal" ................. errrrm 'No, but I honestly feel terribly sorry for people who might be having to wait 23days after they first tried to seek help'
I had to have a brief chat with a very poor speaking indian fellow who agreed it would be best that I see a counsellor 1 on 1 for a session just to see if there is any treatments they can help me with, he said I will be contacted by them in the coming days.
To date, I still haven't been given an appointment, it's currently 84 days since seeking help.
Im actually pretty stunned that people who could be far worse off than me could be just left in limbo.
Im really thankful that I haven't been suffering too badly with the attacks lately.
0
Comments
-
Tha's two months you've been waiting for a session that was going to be "in the coming days"? I think I'd be chasing them up by now or returning to GP to get him/her to chase it up. That said, I think there are widespread long delays for the the "talking" therapies.0
-
Have you asked them about the wait?
I was also referred for mental health services recently, and was told on my first appointment (which was equally brief) that the wait was 6 months on average, and 4 months in my area. I was sped through, however, so I have seen someone - if you feel you need this, go back and see your doctor. As your attacks haven't been too bad, perhaps they thought you would be able to wait?
Tablets are going to help if what you need is to talk, although you can purchase books online about breathing techniques and thought patterns, and as this is pretty much what you'll be doing anyway this could be really helpful.0 -
Have you asked them about the wait?
I was also referred for mental health services recently, and was told on my first appointment (which was equally brief) that the wait was 6 months on average, and 4 months in my area. I was sped through, however, so I have seen someone - if you feel you need this, go back and see your doctor. As your attacks haven't been too bad, perhaps they thought you would be able to wait?
Tablets are going to help if what you need is to talk, although you can purchase books online about breathing techniques and thought patterns, and as this is pretty much what you'll be doing anyway this could be really helpful.
Thanks for the book advice, I will have a look.
You mention 6months !! wow, mind blown at that, simply stunned that people who potentially could be on the edge would have to wait half a year just to talk to someone about getting help.0 -
This doesn't surprise me I hate to say.
I spoke to "my" (new to me) GP (young man) about the possibilty of counselling - in March.
As we talked about other, more physical issues, at the time, I think any kind of action slipped through the net.
I re-mentioned in July and was fairy speedily offered an assessment appointment with the MH Nurse attached to the practice. At this appointment, she had the thought that my case may be too complex for the regular practice Counsellor but askd that I see her again after her holidays (four weeks) and she would also look into referring me to the main Psychology Department (25 miles away, daytime appointments). When I saw her again (with student also in attendance, which I had OK'd), it was at this appointment that she told me that the Counsellors would not see me as I am too much of a "risk" and that I should see Psychology and she would NOW put the referral in process.
I hope they don't see my being "complex"/"risky" as urgent (??? - which it could be were I not a stronger person) as I am stiiiiilll waiting - and fully expect to be for quite some time. I also - from past experience - know that if you don't respond to their letters asking if you still need help, they "assume you are feeling better and that all is well" (quote from one of their letters), not that you are hanging by a noose in local woodland.
In short - and words of one syllable: I would not hold your breath.
But good luck and stay strong.0 -
Hi stuart, how rubbish. I know it's not any consolation for you but it's not that bad everywhere in the country, but saying that if you're not suicidal you will be waiting a long time wherever you are. My DH has suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for years. He has had several courses of CBT which is probably what you will be offered as that is how they tend to deal with anxiety. He said that it helped him massively (he also suffers with OCD (in his head)) and every now and then needs a top up when things get on top of him. When he was really bad, i.e. totally unable to function because of them he spent a few years on beta blockers to calm him down. He said they worked a treat and he would consider going back on them if things got that bad again. If you feel you need it I would suggest going back to the GP and seeing if they can bump you up the list a bit, although if it's like mine then you have to fill in a questionnaire for them to assess how urgent it is (in my area if you tick that you are considering harming yourself you will be seen in a matter of days).Clean credit file:12 mthsCar loan: FREE! :jTHE PLAN: 1.Pay off debt £8808.42(£3254.45, £1570.32, £2698.33, £0:dance:, £1000, £285.32) 2.Save monthly for Christmas/insurance etc £150 per month 3.Save for emergencies /£1500 4.Save for our B&B £????depends which one takes our fancy
0 -
Oh - I forgot to mention that they might (should?) -in the meantime - give you the number of your local Crisis Team (based at the Hospital I think), and you could then ring someone who is overloaded with people actually in their presence, who may be a MH worker or a Social Worker and who does not know you from the next person.
0 -
In my area the waiting list for 'talking therapy' is around 11 months, but I would suggest contacting the mental health crisis team (as mentioned above) and telling them you are desperate to get help 'now' they may be able to get you an appt sooner... the NHS doesnt deal with mental health very well in my opinion I am bipolar and see a psychiatrist every 3 months and in the past 2 years I havent seen the same one twice, so have to go over everything each time I visit and many of the times they are junior shrinks with students sitting in..
I hope that you get the help you need soon and would encourage you to push for it or have someone push for it on your behalf as whilst you might be doing ok now the anxiety doesnt cure its self and could return at any time. Good lucj0 -
I had a seisure in 2007, and had to wait 4 months for a session with a doctor to talk over the consequences. When I complained, I was told that things should have been explained to me when I was discharged. They were well enough explained to me to be going on with, but not for a gap of four months with no contact.0
-
I could write war and peace on the huge problems I encountered with the NHS for my sisters bipolar disorder.
The most tragic was my sister telling them she had strong suicidal tendancies and wanted to go back into hospital. The response was that going into hospital was a backwards step. She took her own life that very nightI am a Chartered Financial Planner
Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice as different people have different needs.0 -
Mental health services in this country are appalling. You couldn't leave a person with a broken leg hanging around for two months to get the start of their treatment, so why should you have to suffer with anxiety for the same amount of time?
I've been pretty 'lucky' because of my age with mental health services, it appears if you're under 25 they seem to take you very seriously, but even then when I was at my worst I was discharged from A+E following a suicide attempt by simply saying 'I didn't mean to' (a complete and utter lie at the time).
Unfortunately the train of thought in MHS in the UK atm seems to be 'there's always someone else worse off' and so nobody really gets the attention they deserve or need. Worth noting here as well though that there are so few places for clinical or health psychologists and mental health workers in our NHS system that it's no wonder they're overstretched. Drives me mad to see the Government campaign for better mental health awareness but then at the same time cut mental health jobs and limit the funding to the care we should all be entitled to receive.
Matt, that is simply tragic about your sister and unfortunately I don't think her case would be isolated.
£2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
