Debenhams - Rogue Email Phishing Scam

Options
I received the following (genuine) email from Debenhams at the weekend and, despite trawling the net, cannot find any other mention of this, apparently quite disturbing, breach of security.

Has anyone else had this email?

Is this something Martin & his team might want to investigate? It seems odd that there has been so little media coverage.

Email from Debenhams:

At Debenhams security is our top priority.
It is for this reason we are emailing you. What’s happening?It has come to our attention that a poorly worded rogue email has been sent to a variety of people and businesses. This email is not from Debenhams.The email directed you to a page that appeared to be hosted by Debenhams and was designed to mirror one of our own. Here it asked for your personal information, we would never ask for your information in this way. This looked like a Debenhams page, but it wasn’t. We have ensured that this rogue site has been shut down.This scam is known as Phishing which is when fraudsters try to obtain personal details of a victim by false website or email communication. What should I do? If you received the email, simply delete it. No further action is necessary. Or you can call the Action Fraud helpline on 0300 123 2040 or visit their web site at [URL="mhtml:{D143AD39-AD66-465E-98CD-7D379718D1D5}mid://00000045/!x-usc:http://www.shopdebenhams.com/r/?id=h2ee974af,3f65613f,3f7b0455"]www.actionfraud.org.uk[/URL] Is it still safe to shop at [URL="mhtml:{D143AD39-AD66-465E-98CD-7D379718D1D5}mid://00000045/!x-usc:http://www.shopdebenhams.com/r/?id=h2ee974af,3f65613f,3f7b0456"]debenhams.com[/URL]?Yes, absolutely. The integrity of our site hasn’t been compromised in any way. [URL="mhtml:{D143AD39-AD66-465E-98CD-7D379718D1D5}mid://00000045/!x-usc:http://www.shopdebenhams.com/r/?id=h2ee974af,3f65613f,3f7b0457"]Debenhams.com[/URL] is still secure and it is safe to shop.Our security hasn’t been breached in any way. The fraudulent site has now been shut down.If you have any further questions you can call our customer service centre on 0844 800 8877.The Debenhams Team

Comments

• bobajob_1966
    bobajob_1966 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    Why would MSE need to 'investigate' a rogue email relating to another company?
  • slightlymiffed
    Options
    Why would MSE need to 'investigate' a rogue email relating to another company?

I was suggesting that MSE might be interested in the (apparent) lack of publicity over this quite serious phishing scam - I was not suggesting they investigate another company.

That was a lightening quick response though....:cool:.
  • bobajob_1966
    Options
    I was suggesting that MSE might be interested in the (apparent) lack of publicity over this quite serious phishing scam - I was not suggesting they investigate another company.

That was a lightening quick response though....:cool:.

So it does not need investigating, as your first post very clearly says?

Those that have received the phishing email will have also received the email from Debenhams. Why does it need to be investigated beyond that?
  • slightlymiffed
    Options
    So it does not need investigating, as your first post very clearly says?

Those that have received the phishing email will have also received the email from Debenhams. Why does it need to be investigated beyond that?

Oh dear - sorry. OK - you win. Well done you. :T

Just trying to warn other MSE'ers while you clearly have another agenda.

A calculated guess is that you aren't in the slightest bit interested in this topic and haven't received this email from Debenhams!
  • bobajob_1966
    Options
    Oh dear - sorry. OK - you win. Well done you. :T

A calculated guess is that you aren't in the slightest bit interested in this topic and haven't received this email from Debenhams!

My only agenda is to stop people worrying when there is nothing to worry about! As I said in my previous post, those that may have been affected will have already received the email from Debenhams. No need for anyone else to panic!
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    why would/does there need to be media coverage?

what is the 'breach of security'?
    did you even read the email from debenhams properly?

"It has come to our attention that a poorly worded rogue email has been sent to a variety of people and businesses."
    > the email hasnt been sent to debenhams customers, but to a random assortment of email addresses, some of which will belong to debenhams customers

"The integrity of our site hasn’t been compromised in any way. [URL="mhtml:{D143AD39-AD66-465E-98CD-7D379718D1D5}mid://00000045/!x-usc:http://www.shopdebenhams.com/r/?id=h2ee974af,3f65613f,3f7b0457"]Debenhams.com[/URL] is still secure and it is safe to shop.Our security hasn’t been breached in any way."
    > it has not used the email address database which debenhams have

for the record;
    i received the genuine email from debenhams
    i did not receive the phishing email (yes i checked my junk folder)
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Sorry but cannot quite understand what you are trying to warn others about and why MSE needs to investigate an email from Debenhams warning about a phishing site.
  • slightlymiffed
    Options
    edgex wrote: »
    why would/does there need to be media coverage?

what is the 'breach of security'?
    did you even read the email from debenhams properly?

"It has come to our attention that a poorly worded rogue email has been sent to a variety of people and businesses."
    > the email hasnt been sent to debenhams customers, but to a random assortment of email addresses, some of which will belong to debenhams customers

"The integrity of our site hasn’t been compromised in any way. [URL="mhtml:{D143AD39-AD66-465E-98CD-7D379718D1D5}mid://00000045/!x-usc:http://www.shopdebenhams.com/r/?id=h2ee974af,3f65613f,3f7b0457"]Debenhams.com[/URL] is still secure and it is safe to shop.Our security hasn’t been breached in any way."
    > it has not used the email address database which debenhams have

for the record;
    i received the genuine email from debenhams
    i did not receive the phishing email (yes i checked my junk folder)
    Oh well... just trying to be helpful...

Normally, when there is a breach of security affecting one of our largest FTSE companies, there is more publicity about it and it surprised me that there wasn't. That's what I was trying to say but the Forum police seem to be out in force :D.

Wish I'd never started this thread now!

For the record, yes I did read my email properly, over and over... which is why I was seeking further information.

For the record, I also read the advice at the head of this forum 'Be nice to all MoneySavers'.

Wonder why there is so much antagonism here?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For the record, I also read the advice at the head of this forum 'Be nice to all MoneySavers'.

Wonder why there is so much antagonism here?

Could you please point out where anyone has been nasty or antagonistic to you, people queried your original post, obviously you do not like others to do this, sorry if they have a different opinion than you, it is allowed on a forum you know.
  • slightlymiffed
    Options
    Oh dear... I used the wrong word ('investigate') didn't I? Sorry.

Sincere apologies too for upsetting so many people when all I wanted to do was to alert others to something which I found disturbing.

I don't seek 'thanks' and I really didn't want a row so I'll bid you all good evening and I'll keep away from this forum in future.

Internet forums are strange places indeed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure