Fake phone calls from microsoft!

Options
Just a reminder folks, if you have an loved ones who know little about their computer, there are currently a lot of phone calls being made to people claiming to be from Microsoft saying their PC is about to crash/has a virus/needs an update etc. Sadly they have already tricked one person I know where they have scared them into to doing as they said, which of course led to the PC being taken over, their email address book copied and the router password being overwritten and of course the machine apparently started to be "haunted"...:eek:

Sadly trying to convince them that they need to contact the bank and credit card fell on deaf ears, "I don't do online shopping...I only use it for Ryan Air and little x's come up."

So of course there is no way Microsoft, Norton, Apple or any other software company is going to ring you up without you having contacted them first, and if this was a stranger in the street you would not answer such questions.
My Mind wanders, if found please return.

Comments

• texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Options
    well if you just look through these forums and even google you will see this is a common theme and is mentioned on many forums
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure