Help for a newby (trying to obtain copy of default notice served)

Options
Hi
First of all im sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section but im sure this will be moved if so.

I reciently obtained copy of my credit file and noted 2 defaults on there entered by 2 differennt companies.

I wrote to both companies and asked them for
". You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit). Your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account

I sent the £1.00 postal order off as required.

I then recieved a letter from both companies (one return my po the other didnt saying)

" in accordance with the Consumer Credit Act 1974"
Subszection 1 (1) of section 77 states "the Creditor under the regulated agreement for fixed-sumn Credit, Withing The prescribed period After receieving a request in writing to that affect from the debtor and payment fee of £1.00 shall give the debtor a copy of the executed Agreement (if any) and of any other documentation referred to in it...."

Subsection (3) of section 77 States "subsection (1) Does not apply to- (a) an Agreement under which no sum is or will or may become payable by the debtor...."

As your account shows a Zero balance and we can confirm that there are no sums outstanding we do not have an obligation to send documents under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

if this correct?

Surely i am entitiled to see the agreement i an refering to?

Or is it a case of i cant see this info anymore.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    if its a closed account, its difficult, subject access is the only way.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • amorge
    amorge Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    sorry to be ignorant but what's subject access?
    LBM 18/06/15 - [STRIKE]£20,276.64[/STRIKE] :eek:
    01/07/15 - £19,897.02
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    A subject access request under the data protection act - costs £10 and allows you to have a copy of everything they have on file regarding your account.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • amorge
    amorge Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I take it I send them £10 cheque and ask for a subject access?
    LBM 18/06/15 - [STRIKE]£20,276.64[/STRIKE] :eek:
    01/07/15 - £19,897.02
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, you need to be specific, just as you were with the Consumer Credit Act request above.

Here's a template from the Information Commissioners Office:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/youth/template_sar_letter.doc

There's some extra-awesome help here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1868507
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure