Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

rogerblack has a good point but can it work

I made a post last week joking about lighting up my solar panels at night so they would generate 24/7

rogerblack has a good point

will this work?

using low energy bulbs powered from the grid at E7 rates say 7p per kwh.
if the panels produce leccy you get paid 43.3p per kwh + 1.5p export
44.8p in total
so my question is can you make money 44.8p vs 7p ?

Replies

• Yut_ManYut_Man Forumite
    139 Posts
    If you get 15% efficiency from the panels. 43.3p * 15/100 would give you 6.45p. so at 7p per unit you would still loose money. Nice idea. like to see a house trying this idea. better than xmas lights.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    29K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Why bother with lights?

Connect your mains electricity(via a rectifier) to the inverter and you can ‘generate’ electricity all night. 10p/kWh input and a 43.3p/kWh output:T

Still a serious fraud, as some people in Spain discovered!:mad:

I bet the Utility companies computer wouldn’t flag up that you were ‘generating’ 4,000kWh pa from a 1kWp PV system.

You can get double that output from a B&Q Windsave turbine – mounted in the attic(so it doesn’t chop up birds)!
  • Yut_Man wrote: »
    If you get 15% efficiency from the panels. 43.3p * 15/100 would give you 6.45p. so at 7p per unit you would still loose money. Nice idea. like to see a house trying this idea. better than xmas lights.

It's in principle slightly better than this, the panels get around 33% or so on deep red light.
    But the best, most efficient lights are about 50% efficient, taking you back to about the figure you mention.

Using ordinary linear fluorescent tubes would get you more like 3% total output, so not close.

At 5p/kWh - the cheapest I can find electricity on night-rate, it would slightly pay back, neglecting the totally implausible cost of the lights. (lots more than the panels)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum