Charities that collect from home?

I have bags of clothes here, plus toys/books etc. I have sold some bits on eBay, but to be honest it is so not worth the stress. No car boots in my area now, so only option to get rid (except for tip runs, which would be a shame) is to give them to charity, BUT the chairty shops are all in town, and you can't park outside, quite a walk with loads of bin bags, and I am not the fittest of the bunch.. SO do you know of any charities (legit) that come to collect from home? I do get bags posted through, but I don't know if these are legit?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• We get lots of bags through the door, some from dodgy sounding charities, and others from more legit ones. We do tend to use the legit companies bags although I'm sure that half the time they're picked up by someone else.

We did have a load of stuff which our local hospice came and picked up, although these were mainly furniture and electronic items (old computers and TV). So it might be worth ringing round local charities in your area rather than national charities.

Failing that, just put the stuff outside. At the end of the day, it might go to a good cause, it might not, but at least it gets it out of your house!
  • Try phoning your choice of charity shop and see if they'll collect? We get loads of bags posted through the door but most are as Melliot says most are from very dodgy sounding companies who profit from your donations.

Freecycle/freegal is another good option.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    they all profit from your donations, just some give a bit to charity.
    Some dont, but keep local people in a job.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Most charities will collect bulk collections, give the charity you particularly like a ring.
    Or stick it on ebay in the wholesale section for a car booter, you won't get much but should get a few quid.
  • bruticus
    bruticus Posts: 657 Forumite
    A lot of supermarkets have charity/clothes bins near the bottle banks, look out for them!
  • trukdiver
    trukdiver Posts: 747 Forumite
    vax2002 wrote: »
    they all profit from your donations, just some give a bit to charity.
    Some dont, but keep local people in a job.

The "legitimate" ones are done by the charities themselves, so the charity gets all the proceeds.

As Metalwrath says, ring your local charity shops and see if anybody can collect. The Oxfam I worked in would do collections depending on who was available. It was hit and miss as they depended on volunteers using their own cars.
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Our local hospice charity shops have a van that distributes to their shops, and will happily collect.
  • Darlyd
    Darlyd Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Thats the thing, I don't know which bags are legit!

To be honest I don't want to send them to the tip.... I have seen the clothes banks, will have a closer expection tomorrow.. :)

Thank You
  • Emmarillo
    Emmarillo Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Freecycle and Freegle are a great way to get rid of items that are too good to take to the tip. I got rid of loads of clothes, toys, books, electrical appliances and sofas. The only thing nobody wanted was an immaculate 14" tv/dvd player with remote control (not flat screen obviously) I still can't believe that!
  • My local British heart foundation collect. All depends if they can find a volunteer driver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure