Artificial Flowers - How to hide stems!

We have bought some of these vases from Ikea for our table centre pieces http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50086647/ and they will have a black ribbon wrapped around them

We went to the Range yesterday and they had some lovely artificial flowers in the right colours etc and were quite a bargain!

Once they have been cut down to size, you will be able to see the ugly brown plastic of the stems in the vase. I had thought about buying some ivory or green ribbon and wrapping the stems so they look a bit more natural, but can anyone think of any other way to disguise them?

Thanks in advance!
Married the absolute love of my life on Sunday May 6th and I couldnt be happier!!!

Comments

• You could either cover the entire vase in ribbon or fill it with glass pebbles or some of that floristy moss stuff! I can't think of the exact word but hopefully you'll know what I mean.

I think filling the vase with some scrumpled up coloured cellophane would also look very nice.
  • sugarwalsh
    sugarwalsh Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    You could line the vase with something - paper, pages from books, material, glass beads, moss, slices of fruit - the list goes on. What colour/theme are you having?

Megan
    May GC - £100 per week
    Week 1 - £120/£100 :eek:, Week 2 £110/100:o, Week 3 £110/£100:mad:, Week 4 £50/100Week 5

DFW - March '13 - c/c £5600, April £4500, May £2500 :T
  • BLUis
    BLUis Posts: 773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sugarwalsh wrote: »
    You could line the vase with something - paper, pages from books, material, glass beads, moss, slices of fruit - the list goes on. What colour/theme are you having?

Megan

I like the idea of pages from books, I am a really avid book reader, so that would be apt. Also thought of music sheets! Our colour scheme is ivory/black
    Married the absolute love of my life on Sunday May 6th and I couldnt be happier!!!
  • sugarwalsh
    Ah, perfect then! give it a go - I think it will look spectacular.

Megan
    May GC - £100 per week
    Week 1 - £120/£100 :eek:, Week 2 £110/100:o, Week 3 £110/£100:mad:, Week 4 £50/100Week 5

• BLUis
    sugarwalsh wrote: »
    Ah, perfect then! give it a go - I think it will look spectacular.

Megan

Just found a website where I can download some sheet music for free! I have printed some out and will have a go when I get home! I will put pics on when I have done - if I dont get too frustrated with it, I'm not arty AT ALL!!
  • sugarwalsh
    Brilliant. I was sorting my flower arrangements out last night (For MArch!!!) now I just need to track down the flowers I like for a lower price.

Looking forward to seeing yours.

Megan
    May GC - £100 per week

• jonty1970
    jonty1970 Posts: 492 Forumite
    I saw these on QVC a couple of weeks ago

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.500416.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

Water pearls. You soak them overnight in water, drain them off , then fill your vase with them.

They are like big cod liver oil capsules. That's what they reminded me of
  • BLUis wrote: »
    Just found a website where I can download some sheet music for free! I have printed some out and will have a go when I get home! I will put pics on when I have done - if I dont get too frustrated with it, I'm not arty AT ALL!!

Hi can you please post the link for the website? I've got a similar idea! Thanks!
    Saving my pennies for my wedding on 10th August 2013! :D :j
    First date 28/01/2010 :) Engaged 25/08/2011 :D Getting married 10/08/2013 :j
  • BLUis
    Hi can you please post the link for the website? I've got a similar idea! Thanks!

Yeh sure no problem. Its:

http://www.1001sheets.co.uk/m.php

There isnt a lot on there, but there are other websites around.

I showed the OH last night, he wasn't keen on the music idea, but liked the idea of lining the vases with something. I might go to a second hand book shop and get some old books with poems in or something.
  • sugarwalsh
    Cool, glad it worked. A friend of mine gave second hand books to all her guests as favours - I think they were all relevant to the guests. Why not look for poetry books/romantic novels or even pictures?

Just a thought!

MEgan
    May GC - £100 per week

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport