Please help - cat making uber-frequent trips to litter tray!

Options
Hello! The title says it all really. I have an 8yr old speyed female moggy. She is an indoor cat and I've noticed over the last few days thats she's making an awful lot of trips to the litter tray. She seems to be doing number 2's as normal and she seems completely normal in every other sense.

Any ideas what the matter could be? If she went outdoors (she won't at all, never has done) then I wouldn't be aware of any issues. I'm hesistant to go to the vet just yet, I remember taking my old furbaby to the vet with blood in her stools to be told it was simply constipation and charged £40 for the privelidge!

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like it could be a UTI, i would get her to the vet trip - perhaps try to take a urine sample along to speed things up and save yourself another vet trip. You could try a shallow tub underneath her when she goes to the toilet, but if that doesn't work then one trick I've heard to collect a UTI from a cat is to use fishtank gravel (washed/sterilised) in a litter tray so you can pour the urine into a tub. Any bacteria or dirt could contaminate a sample though so do remember to wash and sterilise the gravel, tray and container - and try to get a fresh sample, as soon before the vet trip as possible.
  • Fridaycat
    Fridaycat Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with the above, sounds like cystitis to me. My Friday cat used to suffer from it quite a lot until I started feeding a greater proportion of wet food in their diet. She used to wee very frequently, but only tiny mounts - is that like yours?

You can get a special cat litter to collect a urine sample, but my vet never asked for any. Once I'd described the symptoms, he made the prognosis from that and gave her anti-biotics which soon cleared it up. But if left untreated, it can get serious, so please see your vet as soon as you can ;)
  • Cat1
    Cat1 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the sample collecting tips! I will take her to the vets, they are only round the corner and they are great. Sounds a bit like the cystitis thing, it's tiny amouts but she's in the tray what seems like every 30 mins. I hate to think of her being unwell and untreated but also don't want to look like I have feline munchausens by proxy :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure