Garden fencing

Hello all

This is the quote for replacing the fencing in our back garden. I would be interested to know if people think the price is OK and in particular if the spec looks OK (we also got a second quote which was a few hundred pounds more expensive, and less detailed). I am not sure if they are scrimping in order to save costs. 3 metre sections sounds quite wide to me. Also 4x4 posts: should they not be 5x4? I thought that was standard. Any advice gratefully received!

Closeboard (featherboard) fence
6 ft high, 60 metre length in total
3 metre sections
4" x 4" timber morticed posts
Set in concrete to min depth of 1.5 ft
3 tennoned arris rails
2.8 metre by 6 inch gravel board
Plus gate and waste removal
£3600

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    you can budget anywhere from 25-85 quid per m, for closeboard fencing.
    approx 50 quid per panel for the cheap waney lap type.
    Get some gorm.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Price seems on the cheapish side of things, 4x4 is normal and perfectly fine. I would use 8ft posts sunk 2ft. Ask for this as I'm not sure why they would use the standard 8ft post and only sink it 1.5ft for a 6ft high fence. I guess the posts will protrude above the height of the panels.
  • pauper79
    pauper79 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks very much for the responses. Any views on the section width? I still think 3 metres sounds a lot. Don't want to save a few hundred quid only to see the thing blow over in a gale. But maybe that's standard?
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2011 at 10:25PM
    I recently (4 weeks ago) put up 7 panels at 3m lengths (21m) of close board to the same spec as your quote (morticed, 4x4 posts sunk to 2ft so the posts didn't protrude).

Panels cost £550 inc vat. We hired a mini digger with Auger for the weekend for £300 (we needed to mave a reasonable amount of earth as well as the fencing and we have sandstone under our soil which meant we needed a mechanical drill).

10 bags of post mix circa £50.

I own a Paslode nail gun which makes life a lot easier.

The 3m span is normal, it's actually closer to 2.8m with the tenons fitted.

So we spent £900 for a third of your total fencing and did it ourselves.

I'd say your quote is sensible.
  • Thanks Alan that's very helpful. Unfortunately my wife is unlikely to let me loose with a digger and a nail gun but it's good to know I can now call in the experts...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure