Dad and mum help with barclays - fos or court

Options
Hi

I am not sure if this is in the correct thread.

My Dad and mum had trouble with Barclays and ended up having to go bankrupt because of them adding masses of interest onto a loan.

Barclays then harassed them by letters, phone calls from various numbers and threats on the phone saying they would have their house taken away from them.

We complained to Barclays and finally they offered a measly sum of £50 compensation and gave a final letter.

My parents have undergone stress, my dad has cancer and his count has increased and they asked for a higher sum to reflect the hassle they have suffered.

My problem now is which is the best way for them to go. Is it to go to court to issue a request or to complain to the financial ombudsman? Any help would be great.

Comments

• the_insider
    Options
    We need more information. How did adding interest to the loan mean they had to go bankrupt? Was the interest added incorrectly? Or was it just that they overcommited and couldn't repay the money that they borrowed?
    Did they notify Barclays that they were both bankrupt? And were the calls and letters from before or after?
    Getting married 02.08.14
    Wins for the wedding: membership for a 'wedsite' and app, £35 gift voucher for party supplies shop, £50 worth of hand painted signs, 1kg of heart shaped marshmallows :money:
  • bengal-stripe
    Options
    We need more information......

Here is that same story:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=48062697&highlight=#post48062697

If at first you don't succeed, try again.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simpler to stick to the other thread rather than start a new one as it is silly to repeat ourselves.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure