New trick by Spammers

torbrex
torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
I have recently noticed a sneaky trick by spammers to build up their postcount to a level where they can then post links, it is so simple that its almost impossible to spot.

First they pick a thread, any thread on any board with quite a few posts on it already.
Then they select someone's post early on that thread and lift a sentence from it, they cut & paste it into a reply box then post.

The post might not make total sense but it is relevant to the thread as it has come from a genuine post from a genuine member, so good in fact that the OP might even thank and respond to it.

If this happened once it would be a coincidence but for a forum members history right up to their first spam post with a link in it to be made up of this kind of cut & paste trick, that is more than just a coincidence.

This member is the latest one that I have spotted although his spam post might have been removed by now.

Comments

• vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    There's been spammers doing that for the last couple of years now at least, sadly.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    vuvuzela wrote: »
    There's been spammers doing that for the last couple of years now at least, sadly.
    I only have noticed it since I have been spending more time wandering about the forums :o
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Spammers have been using that tactic for a long long time I'm afraid. Certainly not a new one. :undecided
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes its not new the flaw in there plan is that 9/10 its a site known to have been posted before by spammers. You then back track on there other posts and you see there result post count upping. They usually get banned quickly when you email abuse

You probably only pick it up of you are a regularly on forums and can detect trends
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure