ESA Medical Assessment Points system

Options
golfer86
golfer86 Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 25 October 2011 at 10:00PM in Benefits & tax credits
Having been on ESA for 12 months, I have my second medical assessment tomorrow after having recently filled in the lengthy medical questionniare.

Am I right in thinking that the medical is a points-based system where the qualified medical professional asks a series of questions about my day-to-day living, and I am awarded points based on my responses?

Having read other posts on here, I get the impression that passing or failing a medical may largely depend on the medical professional you get. My last nurse was very helpful, supporting and asked the right range of questions to determine how my disability affected my inability to work.

In order to be fully prepared, does anyone know how the points from the ESA medical assessment are allocated (e.g. by questions asked) and how many points are required to pass?

Many thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    15 required to "pass"
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    but 15 points may not necessary get you into the support group, you may find yourself in the wrag group, and help you back to work if you feel and your own doctors feel you are ready.

Be honest, be very clear

yes / no answers as you know do not explain you as a person and your day to day needs
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    You also need to remember that the descriptors changed in March this year so if you had a medical prior to this then the descriptors which you were awarded points for last time may no longer exist.

Have a google search for the new descriptors from March 2011.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    The points are outlined in:
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/m-06-11.pdf
  • golfer86
    Options
    Many thanks for your help everyone. How long do DWP typically take after the ESA medical to make a decision?
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    golfer86 wrote: »
    Many thanks for your help everyone. How long do DWP typically take after the ESA medical to make a decision?

It can take many weeks. Quite a few people complain about not receiving the decision letter so I would watch the payments they're making to your account every fortnight to see if anything changes.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I got a phonecall today saying I didn't qualify for ESA, having been on Incapacity Benefit for around 12 years. I was told my options were to appeal or sign-on.

That was from an assessment on (i think) September the 15th, so around 6 weeks.

Really thrown me for a loop so i'm just going to feel sorry for myself tonight and get stuck in to finding out what's next tomorrow I guess.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i had my work capability assessment on 12th october, and received my decision letter on 21st october. i am registered blind, so perhaps it isnt such a complicated decision that needs to be made.
  • jojo_2012_2
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    The points are outlined in:
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/m-06-11.pdf

what does LCW and LCWRA stand for just out of curiosity?
    "If you don't feel the bumps in the road, you're not really going anywhere "
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I got a phonecall today saying I didn't qualify for ESA, having been on Incapacity Benefit for around 12 years. I was told my options were to appeal or sign-on.

That was from an assessment on (i think) September the 15th, so around 6 weeks.

Really thrown me for a loop so i'm just going to feel sorry for myself tonight and get stuck in to finding out what's next tomorrow I guess.

are you going to appeal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport