Accident at Work, Compensation??

Hello everyone
I slipped in my work car park today and I have sprained my ankle. It was icey and I dont think the car park was gritted properly. Does anyoe think I could claim compensation? Is it worth it?

Cheers

Comments

• robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    yeah stick a claim in .After all it is january not like you would expect it to be icy at this time of year.
  • caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Will you be off sick as a result or are you just wanting to claim to try and get some money.

Instead of putting in a claim, why don't you speak to your employer as they may consider ensuring you get fully paid whilst on sick so your not worse off.

PS. There is no obligation to salt a car park! and remember to fill out an accident report form!
  • fififofum
    fififofum Posts: 150 Forumite
    First thing is to report the accident - most places have an accident book. Then are you with a union / have union rep at work? These can be very useful if you are not au fait with making a claim etc.

If you dont have any of these things you might be best contacting your solicitor?
    are you sitting comfortably?, then I'll begin.....
    was at 01/01/07 now 03/07/07

overdraft was 1500 now 1360 must try harder.

loan was 13705.24 now 9791.62 due to be paid off 01/02/2011 but gonna aim for 01/05/2009!!

amex cc was 4210 now 3650.48 lobt at 4.9% due to be paid off in 01/02/08
    total owed was £19415.24 now its £14802.10 going down!!!:money:
    I am proud to be dealing with my debt!
    just one day at a time, dont take on ANY NEW debt.
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    First off, I take it you haven't been off work for more than 3 days - and therefore the accident is not reportable under the RIDDOR Regs.

Secondly, given the incliment weather, as rooby-01 alluded to, it would be expected for there to be ice outwith the workplace and you therefore have a responsibility of your own to take due care and attention.

You will however no doubt find an ambulance chasing lawyer who would take your case.

I fear for the future of our over-litigious society, I really do.
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    If you claim dont be suprised when you come into work one day to find that your employer has for reasons of health and safety been "forced" to close the staff car park .
    Leaving you to find somewhere else to park.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    robby-01 wrote:
    If you claim dont be suprised when you come into work one day to find that your employer has for reasons of health and safety been "forced" to close the staff car park .
    Leaving you to find somewhere else to park.

Or find that you are suddenly not needed anymore, unless you work for the council that is, they are quite happy for staff to sue.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think you're being petty to be honest.

It was an accident, it could have happened anywhere and nothing is broken.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • mazz1953
    mazz1953 Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Holiday Haggler
    Did you seek medical help for your accident and have it diagnosed as a sprained ankle?
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Hello everyone
    I slipped in my work car park today and I have sprained my ankle. It was icey and I dont think the car park was gritted properly. Does anyoe think I could claim compensation? Is it worth it?

Cheers

Surely this is a total wind up...
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Surely this is a total wind up...

You would hope so, but I doubt it.

Our society is becoming more and more akin to the good ole US of A.

They would sue someone for sneezing in their general direction.:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport