Unable to repay credit union loan

Options

Comments

• Memory_Girl
    Memory_Girl Posts: 4,957 Forumite
    Options
    I agree - and I am one of them. In fact yesterday I became debt free after being £10K in the hole 2 years ago ................ and one of those years I was on benefits. Won't kid you, its not easy being on benefits and paying back debt - but if you are prepared to do whatever it takes, it CAN be done.

The question is - are you?

If you are, then people will help you get there - the same as they helped me.

MG

ETA Food budget is £24 per week for me and 2 littlies
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE
    Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000 :j
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
  • LovelyLeeds
    Options
    Esoog wrote: »
    How are you accessing the forum? Internet is not a necessity in times of hardship...?
    I would imagine the opening poster is in a contract just like you.

You sound as though you've been previously very hard working and conscientious, have you thought about getting a temporary job in a pub? There are always jobs about if you really are conscientious of not owing.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think OP has made it clear the only advice he'll take is on how to avoid repaying the CU loan until he's back in work.

Has shown nothing but disdain for the excellent advice regarding cutbacks and help you've all provide in that area.

I vote we stop wasting out time. You can lead a horse to water...
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • Carlo_Gambino
    Options

You sound as though you've been previously very hard working and conscientious, have you thought about getting a temporary job in a pub? There are always jobs about if you really are conscientious of not owing.

Life can be quite strange sometimes - Went for an interview 4 weeks ago and all but given up on hearing anything back only to get a call to go back in tomorrow for a meeting as I had gotten the job and on top of that I decided to contact my solicitor who I felt had been sitting on his thumbs regarding a compensation claim he was dealing with for me. He said he would chase it up again as the other party was supposed to have got back to him last week. Anyhow, after about 4 phone calls back and fourth we settled the case with well more than enough money to clear the credit union and see me through for a while :j

You couldn't make this stuff honestly. So this story ends very nicely and I've learned quite a bit about human behaviour I can tell you. I went to the local church this evening and promised to make a donation of £500 to the local charity that helps very poorly of people in the community. I may be waiting 4 weeks on the cheque coming through but when it does I will only be too glad to help them.

People don't appreciate what they've got and it's so easy to sit in ivory towers advising those in poverty whereas it's much harder to actually do something about it.

Maybe it's the way I put things on here but bar 1 poster most of you went into autopilot assuming all kinds about my situation and took, at times, naivity for ignorance but thankfully there are still a few that are sympathetic and understanding left. I never had a single intention of avoiding any debt but was annoyed at the way in which the CU manager dealt with me because I immediately felt for single mothers in worse situations than me maybe also being meet with this kind scenario and how the CU would deal with them. I simply wanted a bit of breathing space that's all. Well I got it and then some.

Not once was I ever looking an easy way out, or making excuses for my circumstances. Having been in receipt of quite good wages for the last 10 years it's a shock being reduced to so little and having to try and make do.

Life would have it though that just as I was hitting rock bottom and massive change in fortune came about within the space of 3 hours. So with all that in mind I decided to put the heating on, buy a carryout and plan to purchase a few luxuries.

I sincerely hope for the best for anyone in my situation and will most definately be offering some time to the local charity this Xmas also so all was not lost.
  • Carlo_Gambino
    Options
    izools wrote: »
    I think OP has made it clear the only advice he'll take is on how to avoid repaying the CU loan until he's back in work.

Has shown nothing but disdain for the excellent advice regarding cutbacks and help you've all provide in that area.

I vote we stop wasting out time. You can lead a horse to water...

LOL - unreal. Take it easy my friend and have a coke.
  • Carlo_Gambino
    Options

Forgot to say; thanks for the kind words and the concern LovelyLeeds!
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Life can be quite strange sometimes - Went for an interview 4 weeks ago and all but given up on hearing anything back only to get a call to go back in tomorrow for a meeting as I had gotten the job.

You couldn't make this stuff honestly. So this story ends very nicely and I've learned quite a bit about human behaviour I can tell you. I went to the local church this evening and promised to make a donation of £500 to the local charity that helps very poorly of people in the community. I may be waiting 4 weeks on the cheque coming through but when it does I will only be too glad to help them.

People don't appreciate what they've got and it's so easy to sit in ivory towers advising those in poverty whereas it's much harder to actually do something about it.

Maybe it's the way I put things on here but bar 1 poster most of you went into autopilot assuming all kinds about my situation and took, at times, naivity for ignorance but thankfully there are still a few that are sympathetic and understanding left. I never had a single intention of avoiding any debt but was annoyed at the way in which the CU manager dealt with me because I immediately felt for single mothers in worse situations than me maybe also being meet with this kind scenario and how the CU would deal with them. I simply wanted a bit of breathing space that's all. Well I got it and then some.

Not once was I ever looking an easy way out, or making excuses for my circumstances. Having been in receipt of quite good wages for the last 10 years it's a shock being reduced to so little and having to try and make do.

Life would have it though that just as I was hitting rock bottom and massive change in fortune came about within the space of 3 hours. So with all that in mind I decided to put the heating on, buy a carryout and plan to purchase a few luxuries.

I sincerely hope for the best for anyone in my situation and will most definately be offering some time to the local charity this Xmas also so all was not lost.

Great news Carlo ,

I have been following your thread today, although there were many helpful replies I understand exactly where you were coming form .

Good Luck :)
  • bengal-stripe
    Options
    .....only to get a call to go back in tomorrow for a meeting as I had gotten the job..... we settled the case with well more than enough money to clear the credit union and see me through for a while.....

Gosh.....and all this happened between 4:51 PM and midnight today. You lucky thing you!

Barbara Cartland couldn't have come up with such a happy ending.....:D :D:D
  • Carlo_Gambino
    Options
    Gosh.....and all this happened between 4:51 PM and midnight today. You lucky thing you!

Barbara Cartland couldn't have come up with such a happy ending.....:D :D:D

People go from having little money to becoming multi-millionaires in the space of a few seconds mate.

I rang my solicitor at 3pm and he got back to me around 4.30 so between then and 6.30 we managed to get things rapped up. Microsoft (UK) called me up around 5 but I sincerely hope I heard the girl correctly and did get the job! Would rather get that and no money to be honest.

Life is fascinating and I appreciate your genuine concern as there is no way you were trying to be flippant at all now! A few heads on here could do with chilling out a bit more.
  • Carlo_Gambino
    Options
    mandi wrote: »
    Great news Carlo ,

I have been following your thread today, although there were many helpful replies I understand exactly where you were coming form .

Good Luck :)

Thanks mandi. Another grounded being exists thankfully. But the negativity on here actually drove me to make the call to the solicitor believe it or not as I was beginning to think he was leading me along. After some of the responses on here earlier was getting me further down I thought what had I to lose to try him one last time - I settled for a resonable amount but sure I'd have got more in court but beggers can't be chosers.

So I guess MSE actually did help me today lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure