PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lyod Grossman jar of chilli sauce.

Options
I've been given a couple of these to use up. I have just used one and it's yuck! What can I do to improve it?

It's seems to be too sweet and has enough chilli heat not sure what to add to alter this.

When we are so used to making our own it makes you wonder what they add to processed food to make it last.
£2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
NPFM 21

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    if it's so bad, is it really "worth" using?

You could add some balsamic. I would probably fry some onion and garlic and smoked bacon if youre not veggie, add the sauce and maybe use soy sauce to try desweeten it. Very hard to say without tasting it. Soy sauce should add saltiness. The smoked bacon should give a good flavour. But hey, i would be only guessing!!!!! :D

Or you could add it to a pot of homemade tomato pasta sauce to eek it out further?

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I've added it to the mince already so it's going to be eaten but it definitely needs something doing to it.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • borokat
    borokat Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I quite like Lloyd Grossman sauces! I would add lemon or vingegar if it's too sweet. Maybe some fresh herbs?
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I mixed a little with balsamic and it's okay but i'll hunt out my soy sauce and give that a try too. I'm glad it's only 250g of mince needed, the rest I used to make bolognese and is in the slow cooker now.

NPFM 21
  • cheeky_monkey95
    Options
    I also find them too sweet. I'm sure when they first came out they were a lot better. I'd suggest either adding some chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, and maybe a touch of chilli? Generally speaking, it's much cheaper, and miles tastier to make it from scratch. Doesn't really take a lot of effort, the secret is to cook it slowly on a low heat for quite a long time, and to put plenty of herbs in. Bay leaves are a good option. HTH :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure