Is Egg Money mule dead?

Just received new Barclaycard to replace old-style Egg Money Card.

New card active 7 Nov + new website.

1% cashback still intact, but does anyone know if free BT of positive balances is still going to work, AKA the BT mule?

Replies

• The BT mule still works as of today (even though the T&Cs changed some time ago to prevent positive balances) but I doubt Barclaycard will be so accommodating.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    28.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My guess is probably not.
    Historically Egg money allowed positive balances and when they changed the Ts&Cs is appears they did not actually enforce it at the software level.
    I doubt it's allowed at Barclaycard but that's jsut a guess based on logic (the facility has never been there).
  • i have had a positve balance on halifax clarity with no problems
  • FingerbobsFingerbobs Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    skater_kat wrote: »
    i have had a positve balance on halifax clarity with no problems

Same here. My Halifax Clarity credit card has been £3000 in credit before now - no problems encountered.

I've also had smaller positive balances on a lot of credit cards in the past, and never had any problems.
  • manicmanic Forumite
    698 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    Same here. My Halifax Clarity credit card has been £3000 in credit before now - no problems encountered.

I've also had smaller positive balances on a lot of credit cards in the past, and never had any problems.

Have you then been able to get that sent to your current account?

The whole idea of a "mule" is not only to be able to have a positive balance, but to be able to transfer that balance to your current account without having to pay a fee.

As far as I know, Egg was the only card that could do this.
  • Does anyone have a definite answer to this question yet?
  • I wonder if anyone has an answer to Money Saving Stalwart's question "can a positive balance be transferred to a bank account from the new Barclaycard which replaces the Egg card?" - or from any other credit card, come to that? If so, we'd really like to hear about it.
  • jamesdjamesd Forumite
    25.8K Posts
    I obtained a refund to my current account from Barclaycard for a transfer that was initially to Egg but which might have arrived after the switch was complete.

I discussed this with the customer service rep and they know that Egg cards used to offer this feature or even be routinely in credit. Barclaycard dislikes operating cards that way but the reps do still have the capability to refund money to a current account. Doesn't have to be to the one that your direct debit comes from, they will ask you for the sort code and account number.

I can't guarantee that it will work, just say that I didn't have a problem around the time of the switch.

If you try it, please do report success or failure.

Not also that NatWest has been reported as being willing to refund credit balances to a current account.
  • I've just switched a small amount to Barclaycard Egg and attempted to transfer it to my current a/c using the on-line option, but got the message that the "offer" is not currently available, so it looks as though it is dead.
    However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
  • jamesdjamesd Forumite
    25.8K Posts
    Don't try to use the online option. That is not a free withdrawing of the balance like the one that the Egg system had. You must phone them to ask for a refund of the credit balance.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals