PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

butternut squash and sweet potatoes

Options
butternut squash and sweet potatoes could i use them together in a soup and how do i prepare them both as i have never used them before:confused:

(trying new veg due to Lidl half price offer at the moment...lol):rotfl:

thank you in advance for all replies
Debt free since September 2018 :j:j:j

Comments

• emmamcr
    emmamcr Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    They are both quite sweet so I'd use one or the other, both are lovely with chick peas in soup.

Butternut squash just needs peeling and cubing, and then boil in veg stock with chick peas or similar, some sesame seeds and some onion. When it's cooked, puree and pour a can of coconut milk and a squirt of lime ...yummy!

I would personally bake the sweet potatoes like normal ones (or even in the microwave) and serve them with chilli butter
  • sophiesmum_2
    sophiesmum_2 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Options
    Just peel and dice and chuck em in.

My favourite way of having butternut squash is to halve it longways, scoop out the seedy pulp stuff,then fill the hole with chopped spring onions,and feta cheese. Stick it in the oven to bake a while until the butternut is soft and then eat..Yummy:j :j

sweet potatoes can be used just like other potatoes but can go a bit mushy sometimes.

Just experiment yourself they are very versatile and easy to cook.

sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cut Squash in half just where it starts to bulge. Cut bulbous bit in half vertically to reveal the seeds. Scoop them out, peel outer skins away and cut into 1" cubes.

Peel sweet potatoes exactly as you would ordinary potatoes. Cut these into similar sized cubes.

Peel a couple of smallish onions, leave them whole

Try lightly coating it all in olive oil, with a teasp each of ground cumin and ginger, more if you like plus a little chillie if you want it. Roast them in a hot oven for 20/25 mins or until begining to caramelise. Put into a saucepan, deglaze the roasting pan and add the liquid to the vegetables, finish off in a stock on the cooker top for about 30 mins. Blend and then season to taste.

Stock quantities depend on how much veg you have and how thick you like your soups. You can always add more liquid as you go along.

Enjoy.
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • sadiedoll
    sadiedoll Posts: 136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are SO fab. I make a basic Sweet pot/veg stock soup (whizz it up with blender) then stir in creme fraiche and juice of a lime.

Yum.
  • roger_c
    roger_c Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Roast some bitesize pieces of Butternut Squash in olive oil and sprinkle some sesame seeds over them just five mins before taking them out of the over. YUM, can be served along side something else or just eat on their own!
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    You can use them together or separately. Butternut squash can be downright dangerous to peel so I cut them in half, scoop out the pulp/seeds, lightly oil them and roast them cut side down for about 40 mins. Skin can then easily be peeled/cut off, though this is a bit messy! Roasting helps with the flavour as well

I've actually used roasted butternut squash with the peel still on to make soup - just seemed to make the soup darker, no real taste difference. Skin goes like soft paper when roasted so no problems with whizzing up/hard bits in soup

Adding a bit of curry powder to the soup is good too

lizzyb
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • Disdisbiff
    Options
    would sweet potato and carrot be too sweet
    Debt free since September 2018 :j:j:j
  • TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    I happily roast butternut and sweet potato together - I just chop them both and drizzle olive oil on and roast for about 30 minutes on about 190C.
    Yummy :T
    butternut goes well with all root veges (for me roasted :D )
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    To peel butternut squash, use a swivel headed potato peeler and peel away from you in short, swift strokes.
    I agree with roger-c, nothing nicer than roasted butternut squash, I usually spray with olive oil and sprinkle on some sea salt. I will definitely try the sesame seeds next time.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    I have a lovely recipe for chestnut and butternut soup - just say if you want it :)
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport