Roof Insulation Spray on foam ? Opinions

Options
Hi,

I am paranoid about roof tiles blowing off our roof:o and when ever it is windy I just lay awake all night just waiting for the roof to blow off!

I am sure this is not a cheap thing to have done, so I am wondering if there is anyone who has had this done or knows someone who has it, I like the idea of the added insulation, but my primary worry is about the tiles blowing off, so any ideas that don't involve foam-spraying the inside of the roof would also be gratefully received.

TIA

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello guineapig

Your thread will be better placed in the 'In my home' board, so I'll move it across for you.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Possibly the worst thing you could ever do to to your roof IMHO. A roof has to be vented and by adding spray foam in between the rafters will cut down on the ventilation of the roof. Your house insurance will cover any damage done by high winds etc and it will take a consistent gale to get most roofs to move, so don't worry about it.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, dont have this done, if you have a leak it will trap any water and rott your timbers.
    STAY AWAY FROM THIS IDEA
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Trouble with insurance is that you have to pay the first X amount like £50 and in my neighbours case it is £100. I just had to pay £50 to get a few slates fixed.

If I had the job done by insurance it would of cost £150 so bloke said, and that isnt unusually I had a claim a few years back for slates and that was £130 for insurance and it was less damage that I had this week and they weren't cowboys either

Bare in mind if you claim you could loose no claims, they ask if you change policy, like have you had any claims the last 3 years etc?
  • guineapig
    guineapig Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you very much for the input I do appreciate it.

The spray stuff is supposed to be breathable and non-toxicso I just expected that the wood (if dry when applied) would be fine ( I do take your point, if this did not turn out to be the case though;) )

Also windproof up to 200 miles an hour!

However, I have been ripped off so many times by tradesmen ( and I am very careful to get reccomendations etc) but for some reason even though I live in a small not very posh house I must appear to these guys as some kind of human ATM:mad:

I am very much for a fair price for a fair job, I do believe that people should be paid for their time and skills, but when you have had a lot of bad experiences it kind makes you think everyones out to rip you off KWIM?

Not to mention that when the gales come people are going to have to wait to get their repairs done because the roof repair guys are going to be busy ( good bad or indifferent)& everyone can't get their roof fixed at the same time.

I am a prevention rather than cure kinda gal, so this is why I was wanting to get this done.

Any further help/ideas or info is still appreciated
    Thanks
  • Loobysaver
    Options
    I have been paranoid about my roof tiles coming off! My house is 1930's and still has the original roof ie tiles and cement - no felt/batons.

I presume that I will need to get the whole roof stripped and retiled as some of the tiles have lifted and it is very damp and draughty in the loft!!:eek:
  • Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Roofs don't regularly blow away unless they are in poor condition. This foam won't stick to the tiles (just to the felt and rafters) so won't necessarily offer any kind of reinforcement or reassurance. Like other 'spray-on cures' touted through your letterbox, they sell you something by playing on your fears!

If you really feel the need to spend your money, then spend it on maintaining your roof, they are built to a decent standard and only a tornado will shift a roof in good repair.
  • Poppycat
    Options
    if your roof is anything like mine slate and some parts over 100 years of age, I doubt the foam will attach to all the slates, some of my slates are corroding with age inside, bits of slate flaking off, so I doubt the foam will stick to every slate.
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Options
    do not do this it is s..t and a waste of money
  • Poppycat
    Options
    Bump some one raised the question again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories