PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Think I've ruined my stainless steel fire

Options
Hi

I got fingerprints on the stainless steel inset of my new fireplace when installing it, so I bought some stainless steel cleaner (i know...) and sprayed it on. It said to rinse it off thoroughly but I thought that it would be danerous to pour water over my electric fire!

Anyway the result is that there are white streaks all over the stainless steel. I tried to wipe them off with a damp microfibre cloth but (although it looks slightly better) the streaks are still there.

Anyone got any ideas how to remove them? I'm so upset because the fire's brand new and it now just looks a complete mess :-(

Thanks,
ftb

Comments

• sophiesmum_2
    Options
    Try a little baby oil on a cloth rub it in and then buff it up with a clean cloth.This is what I do to get sticky fingerprints off my big stainless steel fridge. Brings it up lovely.

Hopefully it would remove the traces of the stainless steel cleaner(waste of money imho)

sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• sadiedoll
    Options
    If you have some scouring power (like Vim), you could wipe some of that (dry) over the streaks using a soft dry cloth and then buff with a cloth or paper towel.
  • *flutterby*
    Options
    Baby oil, baby oil and baby oil... My modern home is filled with steel bits and I resented it so much till I tried baby oil and now it's actually a pleasure cleaning it and seeing it come like new again
  • ftbworried
    Options
    thank you SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOO much to those who suggested baby oil. i was almost in tears as nothing was shifting the streaks of residue from the chemical cleaner and i thought the fire was ruined (its a all-in-one suite so i couldnt just replace the stainless steel section). After 3 cleans with baby oil the streaks have lifted and it looks ok again now. You guys have literally saved me hundreds of pounds!!!

One question though- baby oil isnt easily flammible when it gets hot is it???
  • sophiesmum_2
    sophiesmum_2 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Options
    I use it on a stainless steel hob and oven all the time with no problems:D

sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use WD40 :)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • amyandoli
    amyandoli Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    groundnut oils good too, i cook with it and clean with it! smells yummy.
  • ftbworried
    Options
    sophiesmum wrote:
    I use it on a stainless steel hob and oven all the time with no problems:D

sophiesmum

I think it's fine on sinks and hobs because you can rinse it off well (thats what the packet says you shoudl do) but because this is an electric fire (and has a gap at the bottom of the stainless steel and so is not watertight) I couldnt throw loads of water over it. i did wipe it with a damp cloth but i guess it wasnt enough!
  • lillyboo
    lillyboo Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Johnsons Baby wipes work well too - i use them on all sorts!
    :j
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sadiedoll wrote:
    If you have some scouring power (like Vim), you could wipe some of that (dry) over the streaks using a soft dry cloth and then buff with a cloth or paper towel.

I`d be a bit worried about using this because of the abrasive effect- doesnt it take away the shine?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport