Licence photo and glasses

Options
Hi I normally wear glasses and was wondering do I have to be wearing glasses on the licence photo or will a photo without my glasses do.

The reason I'm asking is because I have had a change of appearence recently and need to change my licence photo. I lost my licence a while back so can't check in the old picture whether I was wearing glasses or not. :p

Thanks for your replies.

Comments

• vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    I have a pair of big round john lennon glasses on on mine, it was a bet, I picked the glasses, someone else got the beard and the other got the lepricorns hat and pipe.
    They all came back.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 October 2011 at 1:07PM
    Options
    Erm... I suspect it would be more important that the photo looks like you do now???

Do you need to wear your glasses to meet the eyesight requirements of the driving test? Since if you were stopped by the boys in blue, the photo had glasses and you didn't then they might ask that.

A bit off-topic: It's a pretty crap test. I can read the number plate perfectly well without my glasses on but I'd be an idiot to drive without them - 'cause I have one eye with normal vision and one astigmatic.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    When i recently had to renew my provisional (yep, 10 years 0 lessons = money well spent :p ) the form specified that no glasses were to be worn for the photo.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you have to wear glasses to drive, it doesn't matter if you're wearing them in the photo as there's a code on the back of your photocard to tell the Police if you should be wearing them for driving.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's a "01" code against category 12, by the way.
    DVLA Driving Licence Restriction Codes

These are the descriptions of information codes which appear on your driving licences.

Code
    1 Eyesight correction
    2 Hearing / communication aid
    10 Modified transmission
    15 Modified clutch
    20 Modified braking systems
    25 Modified accelerator systems
    30 Combined braking and accelerator systems
    35 Modified control layouts
    40 Modified steering
    42 Modified rear - view mirror(s)
    43 Modified driving seats
    44 Modifications to motorcycles. (1) single opertaed brake. (2) (adjusted) hand operated brake (front wheel). (3) (adjusted) foot operated brake (back wheel). (4) (adjusted) accelerator handle. (5) (adjusted) manual transmission and manual clutch. (6) (adjusted) rear-view mirror(s). (7) (adjusted) commands (direction indicators, brake light, etc.). (8) seat height allowing the driver, in sitting position to have two feet on the road at the same time.
    45 Motorcycle only with sidecar
    70 Exchange of licence
    71 Duplicate of licence
    78 Restricted to vehicles with automatic transmission
    79 Restricted to vehicles in conformity with the specifications stated in brackets
    101 Not for hire or reward
    102 Drawbar trailers only
    103 Subject to certificate of competence
    105 Not more than 5.5m long
    106 Restricted to vehicles with automatic transmission
    107 Not more than 8250kg
    108 Subject to minimum age requirements
    110 Limited to invalid carriages
    111 Limited to 16 passenger seats
    113 Limited to 16 passenger seats except for automatics
    114 With any special controls required for safe driving
    115 Organ donor
    118 Start date is for earliest entitlement
    119 Weight limit does not apply
    120 Complies with health standard for category D1
    121 Restricted to conditions specified in the Secretary of State's notice.
    122 Valid on successful completion: Basic Moped Training Course
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • split_second
    split_second Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    Options
    when i renewed mine they said glasses were not to be worn on the picture, i wear them permanantly, no resemblence is their issue now i did what dvla said
    Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    when i renewed mine they said glasses were not to be worn on the picture, i wear them permanantly, no resemblence is their issue now i did what dvla said

How can there possibly be no resemblance just because your photo doesnt have glasses on, unless it isnt you in the pic.

I am failry confident thatif I saw your pic without glases I would still know it was you and of course you could always take them off

In answer to the OP glasses off is best, then there is no chance of any glare on your glases

And of course any left over pics would be good for a passport, again no glasses to be worn
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2011 at 10:33PM
    Options
  • Fishingtime
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    It's a "01" code against category 12, by the way.

Hands up everyone that checked there licence?

I did
    Owing on CC £00.00 :j

It's like shooting nerds in a barrel
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Knew I had it on mine, it was me that told them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure