'Amazon Kindle – probably the best customer service in the world' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know I should just stay away from this thread as I don't have a Kindle and will never have one, as I love the feeling, weight and space of my books too much to ever give them up, but I just wanted to comment on this sentence:
    " It’s given me the joy of buying e-books costing less than 99p as a risk, and I’ve discovered some gems as a result of it. " --> I get this from my local library, at zero cost :)

Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    I bought one of the refurbished ones a while back and discovered it wasn't holding its charge, phoned them on a Sunday morning and a new one was despatched to my work address for next day delivery so I would agree with great service from Amazon plus with the return service the kindle will be picked up from whatever address you specify.

Plenty of free books available too, I regularly check the top 100 free books and only spent 99p on a book to see how it worked :)
  • Sa-ra-ra-ra
    Options
    My Kindle screen froze when I was on holiday, and I was dreading dealing with it when I got home...

I called Amazon, who answered the telephone within three rings, on a Saturday afternoon, the person I spoke to was efficient, sent me out a new one immediately (which arrived on the Monday), give me full details of how to send the old one back.

My only gripe would be that Amazon's chosen courier were, frankly, useless. I booked three collection dates and they failed to turn up to any of them - it was only when I called them and informed them that if Amazon charged me for the late return of the Kindle I would be reclaiming the cost from them via small claims did they actually come and collect the parcel.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I remember several years ago that my sister broke one of my PSP games that I bought from amazon about 8 months previously.

I sent them an email asking if they could do me any sort of a discount on the same game, explaining about it breaking (with almost zero expectation of actually receiving a discount). 15 minutes later I received a reply saying they had dispatched a replacement free of charge and I received it next day! That is easily the best customer service I've ever received!
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    I agree that Amazon's service is excellent but judging from the responses to the article Kindles are developing faults much more often than books. I once had a dictionary that had a few pages missing and I took it back and had it replaced but that was 28 years ago and I've not had a faulty book since. Hopefully Amazon will develop the Kindle to be as reliable as a book.
  • metalgal
    metalgal Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    i bought myself a kindle but DH took such a shine to it i ended up buying him one too. he has had problems with three of them, but has not said a bad word about them as he phones up in the afternoon and a new one arrives to him at work in the morning. i also lost my kindle and thought it had been stolen. a phone call to amazon and a pleasent person on the end and it was locked out. i did get it back a few days later (someone was looking out for me, I was devastated) and i phoned them up and everything restored in seconds, the guy on the phone was even happy i got my kindle back! when amazon start up a bank i will be first in the queue!
  • Pechow
    Pechow Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    My first Kindle developed a tiny crack in the outer casing, couldn't see it except in direct light but I was worried it would worsen. Called to ask if anything could be done to prevent it getting worse, had a new Kindle sent out the same day-and I got to keep the old one, which is still perfectly fine :)
  • thisisace
    thisisace Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ScarletBea wrote: »
    I know I should just stay away from this thread as I don't have a Kindle and will never have one, as I love the feeling, weight and space of my books too much to ever give them up, but I just wanted to comment on this sentence:
    " It’s given me the joy of buying e-books costing less than 99p as a risk, and I’ve discovered some gems as a result of it. " --> I get this from my local library, at zero cost :)

My library also does e-books, for free - although they won't work on a Kindle as you need to download an Adobe program!
  • Debbiecatal
    Options
    I had my Kindle for my birthday in December last year - there have been two problems, not with the Kindle, but with the cover - both times the service has been absolutely amazing. The first time they gave me a free upgrade to the more expensive cover with the integrated booklight, and the second time I had a new one within 12 hours! Fantastic
  • itgirlinuk
    Options
    I broke my Kindle on a camping trip and I was so upset! But Amazon were fantastic and they replaced it without any fuss. They sent me the new one and gave me a freepost address to send the old one back!

I wish more companies were this easy to deal with.
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure