🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mercedes A Class - comments B4 I buy, Please?

Options
zzzLazyDaisy
zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Do you own or have experience of driving a Mercedes A class (baby merc)?

I am disabled and looking for an automatic with cruise control and high seating position. The baby merc fits the bill, but it is pricey, even second hand, so I don't want to make an expensive mistake. This car is probably going to have to come to the grave with me :rolleyes:

I am concerned coz I've read mixed reports about reliability.

The one I'm looking at is a March 2002 petrol 160 elegance LWB, if that makes any difference?

Thanks in advance. This is a great site, and you guys are wonderful!!! :beer:
I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Comments

• Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Follow Sasha's link on the other active thread for a new car to Member's Motoring Club. Click on Honest John. There's a road test for the Merc A Class.
    Sorry I'm not good at links.
  • hibitdat
    hibitdat Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Had the use of an A Class for a couple of months (belongs to a friend) and I'm not impressed. Its an A160 with a feeble petrol engine that doesn't like working hard - which it must be to get any performance. My friend has had quite a few problems with it and it really doesn't feel like a real Merc (unlike the latest model) - its more Megane than Mercedes (infact thats unfair, the new Megane is better finished!) Consider this for an alternative: The Seat Altea https://www.seat.co.uk looks a lot like the newest A Class, is better to drive (I own one! And from roadtests), has the chassis of the very latest Audi A3, can be had with the DSG gearbox, and costs a whole lot less. Although the Altea hasn't been out all that long, there are a few great deals around and the 1.6 can be had for much less than the equivalent A Class. And no, I don't work for Seat! (I'm and IT Consultant!)
  • Nigel1
    Nigel1 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to muddy the waters but my partner bought a second hand A160 about a year ago and it's been absolutely fine. I drive many different types of small and medium cars and it's definitely one of the better ones. Being relatively high up, you feel it a bit more if you take corners fast - be warned!
  • mr_accountant
    Options
    If i had this much money to spend on a car, the a class would be near the bottom of the list. Remember Mercedes are not in the business of building 'cheap' cars; they are good at exec/luxury end of the market. To put salt in the wound there not even that cheap.

I remember sitting in one a few years ago and found the dash must have been designed by plastics r us, so cheap is the interior feeling. It’s already very dated. As yours is an elegance maybe its slightly better inside but i doubt it.

It’s also had loads of reliability problems and cheap parts installed. It’s your choice at the end of the day but i think you can do a lot better. To put it bluntly you are paying for a badge with the a class, nothing else.

Try the following link for review on the a class, they may help you decide

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm

http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Mercedes-Benz_A-Class.html

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/user_reviews/readReviews.aspx?manu_name=Mercedes-Benz&manufacturer_name=5509&model_id=526&fueltype=&months=&spare1=&spare2=
  • Robert5988
    Robert5988 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Another car that fits the bill is the Toyota Yaris Verso. Easiest car to access, automatic versions available, Toyota reliability. Comes consistently at/near the top of owner satisfaction surveys.

You could probably get a new one from a Internet site for close to the price of the 2002 160 Elegance Auto LWB.
    Robert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family