M&S Travellers Cheques

Is it still possible to buy M&S travellers cheques with a 0% purchase credit card (does it have to be M&S?) and deposit the money into your current account for a fee of 1%. Thinking this could be the cheapest way of obtaining £5000. Does anyone know if A&L (Santander) accept TC's?

Jake

Replies

• YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is it still possible to buy M&S travellers cheques with a 0% purchase credit card (does it have to be M&S?) and deposit the money into your current account for a fee of 1%.
    The T&Cs, for both the M&S card itself and M&S travel money, haven't changed, so the answer is yes...but you must use an M&S card.
    Thinking this could be the cheapest way of obtaining £5000. Does anyone know if A&L (Santander) accept TC's?
    If I was contemplating buying £5K worth I'd be asking Santander directly.
  • Thanks for replying, I'm clueless what you actually do though :o. Do Santander sell them? I thought that people went to M&S because of the small 1% fee?
    31.5K Posts
    Forumite
    I'm clueless what you actually do though :o.
    1. Get an M&S credit card
    2. Buy Sterling TCs with the M&S card from an M&S bureau de change (online/phone/in-store)
    3. Take the TCs to your bank and pay them in
    4. Wait for them to clear
    5. Grab the cash!

It really is that simple, but with one caveat...make sure your bank will accept them before buying them.
  • What sort of size do they come in, I just read someone having to sign 140 signatures! Anybody know if A&L (Santander) accept them? Thanks again
  • TC1TC1 Forumite
    104 Posts
    What sort of size do they come in, I just read someone having to sign 140 signatures! Anybody know if A&L (Santander) accept them? Thanks again

I purchased about 5k's worth and was signing for what seemed to be hours. Not sure if I could have asked for high denominations when I applied but hey it was worth it.

:)

I took mine to NATWEST...not sure about SANTANDER..give them a ring.
    31.5K Posts
    Forumite
    TC1 wrote: »
    I purchased about 5k's worth and was signing for what seemed to be hours.
    I did £9K twice...two separate stoozes 18 months apart...in 100s and 50s!

And 2 lots of signatures in each course...because you have to sign again when you get to the bank!
    Not sure if I could have asked for high denominations when I applied
    I was told in-store that I could have pre-ordered in £500 denominations.
    I took mine to NATWEST.
    Mine went to LTSB & Nationwide.
  • You can buy them instore so surely you could use any CC as long as it's 0% purchase interest? But thanks for the help will ring Santander tomorrow!
  • Says maximum order £2500, can you order twice straight away or should I wait a few days?
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can buy them instore so surely you could use any CC as long as it's 0% purchase interest? But thanks for the help will ring Santander tomorrow!

They are a cash advance, not a purchase, so will attract interest with virtually all cards.
  • dzug1 wrote: »
    They are a cash advance, not a purchase, so will attract interest with virtually all cards.

But not M&S cards?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum