New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: 80,000 more families to get help with childcare costs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Child Support
14 replies 3K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Child Support
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Rules limiting childcare support to parents working a minimum of 16 hours a week are to be scrapped from 2013 ..."

Replies

• being a single mother who was offered a job this week that i have had to turn down yet again because its less than 16 hours a week meaning i would be paying out more money than i was earning im glad this is happening but 2013 is a long way away.
  • clearingoutclearingout Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    it is brilliant for single parents, I agree. Just wish they would implement it now cos it would make a huge difference to many, I'm sure.
  • yeah 2013 is a long long way away.
  • jaxjax123jaxjax123 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I get fustrated when they say people can get childcare when they earn £41,000. We earn £25,000 and can't get any help. So how do people who earn £41,000 get it.
  • jaxjax123 wrote: »
    I get fustrated when they say people can get childcare when they earn £41,000. We earn £25,000 and can't get any help. So how do people who earn £41,000 get it.

i dont get it either. surely on that sort of wage you shouldnt really need help with childcare unless you have a whole football team?!
  • kelloggs36kelloggs36 Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    They don't - they can get a minimal amount of child tax credits, but they won't include childcare.
  • to Adamantine

it's not about having a football team! if you have your own mortgage these days which could be quite expensive, and two children to put into childcare there is actually little point having the second wage as it just pays childcare! I will be going back to work next yr after maternity leave and our combined salaries will only just cover essential bills! that is with some supposed tax credits to help with childcare, if however i was living in council accommodation i would be at least £200 a month better off and this would fund the cildcare costs i would have to pay for. but no we try our best to house ourselves and care for our cildren unlike benefit claimants who have extra children and get an increase in money! we have had a pay freeze! and i dont mean genuine claimants who due to the govts incompetence genuinely need help and deserve it through losing their jobs!
  • adamantine wrote: »
    i dont get it either. surely on that sort of wage you shouldnt really need help with childcare unless you have a whole football team?!

that sort of wage doesn't cover all the bills in the current climate if you own your own home and have a mortgage! you can't live on that alone!
  • but you can lower your outgoings by getting a better mortgage deal and there are 2 of you so one can work evenings and weekends while the other does days so childcare is reduced to a minimum.
    on 41 thousand pounds a year you should be able to live comfortably. i live almost comfortably on less than 10 thousand a year and there are 3 of us one of whom has very very expensive dietary requirements!
  • SingleSueSingleSue Forumite
    11.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    to Adamantine

it's not about having a football team! if you have your own mortgage these days which could be quite expensive, and two children to put into childcare there is actually little point having the second wage as it just pays childcare! I will be going back to work next yr after maternity leave and our combined salaries will only just cover essential bills! that is with some supposed tax credits to help with childcare, if however i was living in council accommodation i would be at least £200 a month better off and this would fund the cildcare costs i would have to pay for. but no we try our best to house ourselves and care for our cildren unlike benefit claimants who have extra children and get an increase in money! we have had a pay freeze! and i dont mean genuine claimants who due to the govts incompetence genuinely need help and deserve it through losing their jobs!

Erm, not ALL benefit claimants......and sometimes things can go boobies up in life which means you can end up in social housing or on benefits or both, no matter what morals you have or how hard you have worked.

Oh and being on benefits does not mean you do not care for your children.

Blimey, I hate stereotyping.
    We made it! Two graduated, 1 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support