🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Nhs dental scale & polish/checkup

Options

Comments

• NurseMoneySaver1122
    Options
    I completely understand the difference now! Thanks guys and girls!!! :j

Regarding my dentist referring me on for a hygiene clean, some of you are asaying it's a scam, others saying it's how the system works.....

I guess the question is then, is a NHS dentist responsible for providing root planing on the NHS banding system if it is a clinical need? Can PALS provide me with this information?

Thanks once again for everyone's advice! :T
  • NurseMoneySaver1122
    Options
    NHS dentists are required to do a check up and give you a scale and polish as part of one appointment at the basic rate, but they often try and scam you and make you come back for a separate appointment with a hygienist. You just need to stand up to them and say that you want it all in one go (but I know that's easier said than done - I'm lucky to have finally found a good dentist!)

Thank you for your reply! From what I now understand, the hygienist will provide root planing witch cleans beneath the gum, unlike a scale and polish which only cleans above the gum line.
    Therefore, if an NHS dentist decides you need root planing (a clinical need) is it not his responsibility to provide it. I thought that's what the NHS deal was...that dentists agreeing to take on NHS patients will provide all clinically necessary work??
  • kerrirobberts
    Options
    If NHS choices website was up and running I would be able to send you the link grrrr. But when it is up on there it gives a clear breakdown of what is and is not included.
    SPC = £15.54 #1413
    £2 challenge = £22
    DEBT =
    [STRIKE]£5030[/STRIKE] £4488.50 (10%)

• NurseMoneySaver1122
    Options
    :)
    If NHS choices website was up and running I would be able to send you the link grrrr. But when it is up on there it gives a clear breakdown of what is and is not included.

Thanks Kerri. I will have a little look on there and see if I can find it. Thank you!
  • kerrirobberts
    kerrirobberts Posts: 248 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2011 at 4:48PM
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-treatments.aspx
    It's slow, so they must have only just got the server back up. But it is back up and running

I'm really cross now. My dentist has told me to go to the hygenist, I made him give me a scale and polish. He didn't mention that if I paid £30 to go onto band 2 that I could have a deep clean. My gums keep bleeding so I obviously need it =(
    SPC = £15.54 #1413
    £2 challenge = £22
    DEBT =

• NurseMoneySaver1122
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-treatments.aspx
    It's slow, so they must have only just got the server back up. But it is back up and running

I'm really cross now. My dentist has told me to go to the hygenist, I made him give me a scale and polish. He didn't mention that if I paid £30 to go onto band 2 that I could have a deep clean. My gums keep bleeding so I obviously need it =(

Just had a look at NHS Choices Website. With regards to scale/polish/root planing, I found this:
    Band 1 course of treatment: £17.00

surface application as primary preventive measures of sealants and topical fluoride preparations
    scaling, polishing and marginal correction of fillings
    Band 2 course of treatment: £47.00
    • non-surgical periodontal treatment including root-planing, deep scaling, irrigation of periodontal pockets and subgingival curettage and all necessary scaling and polishing
    So I'm COMPLETELY confused now as to why my dentist would NEED to send me to a hygienist??? :undecided This states they are supposed to provide the deeper clean on the NHS, but just a band higher at Band 2?????

By the soundes of it Kerry, you are experiencing the same as me then...so why are they sending us to hygienists???? As others have said on here, hygienists will provide a clean below the gums, referred to as root planing. Yet on NHS Choices website, they should be doing this at NHS Band 2 price, not referring you on, right??
  • kerrirobberts
    Options
    Yeah that's why I'm cross. I'm going to see what they say on my next checkup and go ready armed with an NHS choices print out and a definition of root planing and deep clean. Dentists have so much jargon I think most just trust them and say "oh alright then"
    SPC = £15.54 #1413
    £2 challenge = £22
    DEBT =

• NurseMoneySaver1122
    Options
    Yeah I think you're right there!! Well I have an appointment monday coming, but I'm going to call them tomorrow to clarify this BEFORE they take my money.

I shall post if they state anything useful :)
  • coldstreamalways
    Options
    If you gums are bleeding it's much more likely that you need a scale and polish because you are not cleaning your teeth as well as you could (this is what the hygienist will teach you) than that you need root planing. Out of 100 patients, 97 will need a scale & polish and five of this 97 will need root planing as well.

You can't "just" see a hygienist because they do not diagnose and treatment plan. Dentists diagnose gum or periodontal (deeper than simple gum) disease and formulate a treatment plan which the hygienist will carry out.

You are only ENTITLED to a scale and polish if it is necessary to secure or maintain your oral health. I would argue that if I cleaned your teeth for you and six months later you needed them doing again but there was no worsening of your condition then a scale & polish isn't necessary on the NHS.

You CANNOT have band 2 treatment on your gums just because you want it, it is based on a diagnosis. Root planing is as different from a scale and polish is as cycling is to flying in a plane. It involves cleaning more than 4mm under the gum which isn't possible unless your gums are so unhealthy that 4mm of bone has been lost from around the tooth. If your dentist has told you this then yes, Band 2 is where you will be, otherwise you are just using the web to make things up about your diagnosis.

Bleeding gums=inflamed gums because of plaque=need to brush/floss correctly=problem gone=no need to pay hygienist.
  • NurseMoneySaver1122
    Options
    If you gums are bleeding it's much more likely that you need a scale and polish because you are not cleaning your teeth as well as you could (this is what the hygienist will teach you) than that you need root planing. Out of 100 patients, 97 will need a scale & polish and five of this 97 will need root planing as well.

You can't "just" see a hygienist because they do not diagnose and treatment plan. Dentists diagnose gum or periodontal (deeper than simple gum) disease and formulate a treatment plan which the hygienist will carry out.

You are only ENTITLED to a scale and polish if it is necessary to secure or maintain your oral health. I would argue that if I cleaned your teeth for you and six months later you needed them doing again but there was no worsening of your condition then a scale & polish isn't necessary on the NHS.

You CANNOT have band 2 treatment on your gums just because you want it, it is based on a diagnosis. Root planing is as different from a scale and polish is as cycling is to flying in a plane. It involves cleaning more than 4mm under the gum which isn't possible unless your gums are so unhealthy that 4mm of bone has been lost from around the tooth. If your dentist has told you this then yes, Band 2 is where you will be, otherwise you are just using the web to make things up about your diagnosis.

Bleeding gums=inflamed gums because of plaque=need to brush/floss correctly=problem gone=no need to pay hygienist.

Goodness me..I wouldn't want band 2 treatment on my gums unless it was as a result of a diagnosis and necessary, we are of course talking about a trip the dentist after all!

My question was based on a conversation with my dentist, whereby he said he would provide a scale and polish IF NEEDED, and if root planing was necessary, he would refer me to the hygienist at an extra cost. So I certainly am not using the web to make up a diagnosis, I was merely trying to ascertain whether my dentist should provide the root planing on NHS band 2 (if he deems its as necessary, like he said), as opposed to sending me to the hygienist at an extra private cost.

Fortunately, following a conversation with PALS, it has been confirmed that if my dentist deems root planing as necessary, like he said to me, then he should provide root planing on the NHS, and whether the hygienist provides it or the the dentist, I should not incur an aditional private cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport