New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Council tax to be frozen next year

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
7 replies 2K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Government is to announce plans to continue a freeze on council tax at today's Conservative party conference ..."

Replies

• hermantehermante Forumite
    444 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    wrote:
    £805 million of unspent cashOfficialStamp.gif

Unspent cash? Don't we have a national debt to pay off?
  • jamespirjamespir Forumite
    21.5K posts
    cut it should be scrapped
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • jamespir wrote: »
    cut it should be scrapped
    I seem to recall that was tried a few years ago, didnt work out too well.
    Personally I'd like to see a local income tax, mainy because I have a low income, the tories would never go for that, although "labour" (huh) never sought to make the system fairer on their watch.
    My council tax is my largest bill.
  • Le_ChuckLe_Chuck Forumite
    223 posts
    Continue a freeze? I must have missed this years freeze & suspect I'll miss next years as well
  • Heard this on the news couple days back - least that gives me one known cost next year
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • milliemonstermilliemonster Forumite
    3.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭
    hmmm, this equates to an average saving of £6 a month, that will soon get eaten up in rising fuel and food costs, a great help?, I think not
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The government has very few "profit centres" of its own [Margaret Thatcher sold nearly all of them, and so has the Greek government]; what it spends it has to raise in taxes and other "unmitigated charges", borrow from our children, or print.
    Printing causes "taxation by inflation" and debasement of the currency.
    Can we be confident that this £6 quid is just a way of ensuring that the local authorities really are cutting costs or simply "kicking the can down the road" by "saving" Greek style: "sacking" civil servants who were coasting to retirement in 6 months time, by giving them a full early pension?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support