PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord has had house repossesed

Options
124»

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    If the court date is set there will be no eviction on that date. Do not rely on the LA to give you any sensible advice as they are just the go-between and most likely have no understanding of the repossession process.

You are not being a nuisance so feel free to keep posting on this thread.
  • trfcgirl06
    Options
    Cheers BitterAndTwisted!

I have calmed down now and I'm putting my sensible head on (if I have one)!
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds as though your LL does not understand properly what is likely to happen at the court hearing, which is not helping you.

As advised, you do not have to be out by the15th and your LL is wrong to try to get you out (albeit misguidedly) by then. Make sure you turn up at court and you should get a proper amount of time if repossession is awarded.
  • SouthCoast
    SouthCoast Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2011 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Be aware that some repos will get sold at auction with the tenants "in situ".

You will be able to find some here:

http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/pastAuctions.asp?T=R
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Read
    Mortgage Repossessions (Protection of Tenants etc) Act 2010

This applies specifically where a landlord does NOT have permission to let from the mortgage lender.

At the court hearing, ask the judge for 2 months. You should get it. That takes you to mid March.
  • trfcgirl06
    trfcgirl06 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all,

Just to update you. We found a new house to live in on 23rd December (cutting it fine)! We paid the referencing fees on the 23rd (to hold the house) and put our applications in on the 3rd and have a moving in date as the 13th. We've paid our Landlord rent up until our moving out date, which we've agreed to be the 16th.
    We decided the sensible option was to move and if the property comes up for sale, we'll see if we can afford it then. Luckily we've found a nice enough house in our area. The rent is £30 more a month, but it does have an extra bedroom and an extra reception room too.

If we decide to go for the repossession sale, I'll be back on here no doubt!

Again thank you for all the valuable advice, links and support that I have received from all who have written on this thread!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    Well, that's a great outcome! I'm sure that it must be a blessed relief to not have all the worry and stress that you've endured over the last few months.

Enjoy your new home. I hope you'll be very happy there!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure