Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Bumped by a hire car

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
13 replies 1.2K views
z3phyr04z3phyr04 Forumite
185 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Hi, been bumped by a hire car this morning on the roundabout near work. I was in the outside lane (the roundabout recently changed from 2 lanes to 3) and this takes me past the exit for a dual carraigeway and feeds directly into the exit I need to take. As I was coming towards this exit, a Vauxhall pulled out in front of me causing me to brake hard and come to a complete stop on the roundabout. My car and the Vauxhall did not touch. At this point it appears the driver in the other lane was not paying complete attention and had thought that since the Vauxhall was going they should to and accelerated into the back left quarter of my car.

We all pulled over as best we could in a layby that is next to the scene which is being worked on currently as it was dangerous to look at the cars by the exit for the dual carraigeway on a busy roundabout, the driver of the Vauxhall apologised and said that he had caused the actual accident to happen as he had pulled out. He then left the scene however without giving us his details, although I did get his registration plate for information.

I have the details of the other car that hit me along with the driver. It is a Hyundai hire car (quite new 11 plate), and the driver was visiting from abroad.

There is very superficial damage to my car, a scuff on the rear bumper and a small amount of paint transfer from the blue Hyundai although the Hyundai's wing and headlight area had crumpled in. My vehicle is a Rover 25 X reg so not worth very much, so as long as it is safe to drive I probably won't claim. I will obviously inform my insurance company and give them the details of the incident but can I get it checked out by a mechanic to see that it is safe to drive in the meantime? As my work was round the corner, after we had exchanged details I was able to drive it there without issue.

What will happen now when I report it? Will I be unable to drive it until it's checked even though I doubt I will be claiming at all?

Replies

• vaiovaio Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    As long as it’s roadworthy you can continue to use it
    Dangermac wrote: »
    I agree with you......

DM
  • You may as well claim if you've got NCB Protection, since reporting the accident will impact on next years Premium anyway.

Don't be tempted not to report, because the other driver could claim that you're at fault.

I'd always advise anyone to take pictures of any damage to the vehicles involved as soon as possible after the incident, so that this prevents additional damage being claimed that is unrelated to the accident. We all have cameras on our phones these days so there's really no excuse not to.
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may as well claim if you've got NCB Protection, since reporting the accident will impact on next years Premium anyway.

Simply reporting an accident doesn't automatically mean that the premium will rise at renewal time.
    It may well go up, but it's by no means a certainty that this will happen.
  • Did the hire car driver give the correct reg. no. as opposed to 1 character out, hoping you wouldn't notice? That's very unusual .....
  • vaio wrote: »
    As long as it’s roadworthy you can continue to use it

Thanks, am getting it checked over by a mechanic later.
    Wireless wrote: »
    You may as well claim if you've got NCB Protection, since reporting the accident will impact on next years Premium anyway.

Don't be tempted not to report, because the other driver could claim that you're at fault.

I'd always advise anyone to take pictures of any damage to the vehicles involved as soon as possible after the incident, so that this prevents additional damage being claimed that is unrelated to the accident. We all have cameras on our phones these days so there's really no excuse not to.

I will be reporting as the other car is a hire car, nothing I can do about it. I don't have NCB protection. I took a photo of my vehicle where it was hit but could not get a very good photo of the other vechicles damage due to it facing out onto the busy roundabout with lorries coming past etc.

Do I just tell my insurance company that I won't be claiming if it's not damaged and give them the details of the other vehicle?
    Did the hire car driver give the correct reg. no. as opposed to 1 character out, hoping you wouldn't notice? That's very unusual .....
    I wrote the registrations of the vehicles down myself.
  • wba31wba31 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    the vauxhall driver isnt really at fault though is he? the hyundai driver should have looked where he was going, and not rely on other drivers. the vauxhall driver would have been at fault, had you not been so alert.
    i went into the back of someone 2 years ago in heavy rain as a bloke 2 cars in front stopped suddenly at a junction where you keep going a filter. car number 2 skidded and swerved and missed him, i skidded and swerved and hit driver 2. it was my fault because had i been further back and more careful...

some people are too honest i guess, but get your car checked out just to make sure there is no deeper lying damage...
  • LumLum Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wireless is correct, if you report the claim it will have the same effect on your premium as if you successfully claim for repairs. They will both be counted as non fault accidents.

As this is a hire car, there is no option to settle privately, however you could look into claiming off the hire company's insurance rather than your own, so as to avoid all the hassle of temporary NCB loss and so on. I'm sure they will be able to give you a hire car while yours is being repaired too :)
  • If you're happy with the minor damage to your own vehicle and have no protected NCB, you could indicate that you're not at fault to your own Insurer and provide as much information and pictures as you're able to, and indicate that you won't be making a claim.

However, you may still lose your NCB if the other party makes a claim, even if they won't be successful, merely because your Insurer has to deal with a claim. The reason for providing all the Information to your Insurer is to enable them to defend against any claim from the other party.

I'm afraid you'll have to cross your fingers as to whether the other party wishes to chance their arm and make a claim against you. This is yet another reason in which to have your NCB Protected.

As regards the likely increased premium next year, even though no claim or damages may be paid out, you have still been involved in an accident, and this makes you a greater risk to your Insurer, this perceived greater risk will translate to a percentage, the premium will likely be affected.

This may be annoying, and possibly unfair, but it is how the Insurers calculate risks, they are gambling on you not claiming when they set the premium, so any indication that you might be involved in a similar incident is an increased risk of a likely claim, and just dealing with claims costs them money, before blame is apportioned.
  • edited 30 September 2011 at 11:38AM
    z3phyr04z3phyr04 Forumite
    185 Posts
    edited 30 September 2011 at 11:38AM
    Lum wrote: »
    Wireless is correct, if you report the claim it will have the same effect on your premium as if you successfully claim for repairs. They will both be counted as non fault accidents.

As this is a hire car, there is no option to settle privately, however you could look into claiming off the hire company's insurance rather than your own, so as to avoid all the hassle of temporary NCB loss and so on. I'm sure they will be able to give you a hire car while yours is being repaired too :)
    Yes but I must surely inform the company as it is a condition of the insurance? If I tell them the details and state that I am not making a claim, I will just have to add the accident and state there was no claim come renewal time if I've got this right? Do I contact the hire car company also then?
    Wireless wrote: »
    If you're happy with the minor damage to your own vehicle and have no protected NCB, you could indicate that you're not at fault to your own Insurer and provide as much information and pictures as you're able to, and indicate that you won't be making a claim.

However, you may still lose your NCB if the other party makes a claim, even if they won't be successful, merely because your Insurer has to deal with a claim. The reason for providing all the Information to your Insurer is to enable them to defend against any claim from the other party.

I'm afraid you'll have to cross your fingers as to whether the other party wishes to chance their arm and make a claim against you. This is yet another reason in which to have your NCB Protected.

As regards the likely increased premium next year, even though no claim or damages may be paid out, you have still been involved in an accident, and this makes you a greater risk to your Insurer, this perceived greater risk will translate to a percentage, the premium will likely be affected.

This may be annoying, and possibly unfair, but it is how the Insurers calculate risks, they are gambling on you not claiming when they set the premium, so any indication that you might be involved in a similar incident is an increased risk of a likely claim, and just dealing with claims costs them money, before blame is apportioned.

Well I'll just have to bite the bullet come renewal time, such is life :(. I couldn't get Protected no claims as I have not been driving long enough to attain them.

I will make sure to tell the insurance that I was not at fault and wouldn't like to claim then. Hopefully the hire car company will realise the other driver was at fault (I thought pulling out of a junction or onto a roundabout and hitting something was pretty much at fault) and not try to claim for their hire vehicle.
  • thenudeonethenudeone Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The other driver has committed an offence by failing to provide the relevant details.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

Presumably you didn't give your details either. I would drop down to the nearest Police station sharpish and report the accident. For all you know he's already filed a complaint alleging that YOU were at fault and that YOU drove off without stopping!

As the other driver appears to be at fault, you could contact the hire company direct. They probably have a claims department or company who deal with third party claims. You need to get your car checked out.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
This discussion has been closed.