Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

V5 Advice When buying 2nd hand car do both parts need to be there?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
4 replies 778 views
edmondedmond Forumite
290 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Im looking to pick up a 2nd hand car tomorrow.
I have emailed the seller and he has advised me that he has the green slip which is blank so it can be taxed he is selling for a friend who has sent the logbook in his name as he is away for 6 months.

When i have have bought and sold cars in the past i normally fill out both parts and then hand over the green detatchable slip.

Is what he recommend allowed?

Replies

• mikey72mikey72 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a car from somebody who admits he wasn't the owner, and hasn't got the paperwork.
    All they need to do is get another complete v5 after you've paid, then nip round with the spare keys one night.
  • As above, they should have the FULL V5 ,and you should watch them fill out the 'change of keeper' side and even drop it in the post with them if they're a bit shady.
    The green slip that they give you means nothing, it's the sellers side that changes the rwgistration with the DVLA and that's the important bit.
    Walk away unless there's a compelling reason not to.
  • fivetidefivetide Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get this bit:

"he is selling for a friend who has sent the logbook in his name "

Does that mean he is waiting on the full V5 coming back? If so he won;t mind waiting until the full V5 is present. If not, as others have said, walk away. Loads out there.

5t.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • edmondedmond Forumite
    290 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi guys

Thanks for the advice, looks like i need to leave this one well alone, shame nice car and the HPI came back all clean
This discussion has been closed.