Barclaycard can i claim on £12 charges?

Options
6 Years ago i claimes £2700 back from natwest for unlawful charges by using martins templates. I'm now in the process of contacting barclaycard to claim back 6 years of charges.

They have charged me £12 a month for going over my limit for longer than 6 years, and just wondered if they were allowed to charge this amount, as my natwest claims were on charges of £28+.

I actually didnt want to go this way because i got this card when i was young and naive and didnt know what credit scoring was, but i'm paying a DD of £30 a month and i kid you not £29.75 goes on charges and interest so 25p goes on the actual balance. I contacted barclaycard to ask if they could freeze my interest and charges and i'd be happy to increase my payments a little but they told me they have nothing in place to do this, so i gave them my feelings on them been responsible lenders.

So my main question after this rant was to find out if i could actually claim back on £12 charges :money:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    6 Years ago i claimes £2700 back from natwest for unlawful charges by using martins templates.

That was back in the days when you could. You would have now though.
    They have charged me £12 a month for going over my limit for longer than 6 years, and just wondered if they were allowed to charge this amount, as my natwest claims were on charges of £28+.
    The OFT set a figure of £12 as what they would not investigate as being unfair. There have been some people that have had some success in getting some of the charges back at £12 but most success is when the charges have been over £12.
    So my main question after this rant was to find out if i could actually claim back on £12 charges

You can ask but dont be hopeful. If you get it anything, it will be a bonus.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got my £12 charges back from Barclays fairly easily. Wrote first letter, they responded offering me the different between the £12 and the higher charges, I wrote back saying I didn't accept this and quoting the OFT report at them - paid up all charges plus interest which cleared my outstanding balance and the bit extra was sent out. One of the easier ones for me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure