Cancelling Gym Membership due to Forced Location Change

I am serving and have had to change my location within the UK, i therefore will not be able to continue using my civvie gym membership without having to travel from Plymouth to Bristol.

As it''s Bannatyne's i have just seen on another MSE board that it's a 3 month notice period, (i was told 30days on joining). But the question is, as i will not practically be able to attend for at least 12 to 15 months would this be decent grounds to get the three months reduced?

Replies

• I have no personal experience with Bannatynnes but I believe most gyms will let you cancel if you're moving away providing your new residence will make it impossible for you to continue going to that gym regularly (as it is in your case).

In some cases, they might make you transfer your membership to a more local gym, if it's availabe. I think (not sure!) it's LA Fitness that has some sort of clause that, if there's another gym within so many miles of your new home, they'll transfer your membership there instead of cancelling it altogether.

If I were you I'd contact the membership staff asap and explain the situation, the more notice you give, the better.

Good luck!
    :jBaby girl born 3rd October 2012:j
  • I have no personal experience with Bannatynnes but I believe most gyms will let you cancel if you're moving away providing your new residence will make it impossible for you to continue going to that gym regularly (as it is in your case).

In some cases, they might make you transfer your membership to a more local gym, if it's availabe. I think (not sure!) it's LA Fitness that has some sort of clause that, if there's another gym within so many miles of your new home, they'll transfer your membership there instead of cancelling it altogether.

If I were you I'd contact the membership staff asap and explain the situation, the more notice you give, the better.

Good luck!

Already checked their website and the closest place is gonna be Bristol till i go abroad, that's a 200mile round trip for each visit, so i'd think that's an impractical journey.
  • Best thing to do is contact them and explain your in the armed forces and that you have been transferred - They should either suspend membership until your back in the country or cancel it altogether.

For the future though its probably best off calling your council and see if they have a partnership with any gyms in the area as they offer 1 month memberships / pay as you go etc instead of tying you into long term contracts.
  • Best thing to do is contact them and explain your in the armed forces and that you have been transferred - They should either suspend membership until your back in the country or cancel it altogether.

For the future though its probably best off calling your council and see if they have a partnership with any gyms in the area as they offer 1 month memberships / pay as you go etc instead of tying you into long term contracts.

I agree with the above that the best thing is for you to contact them and explain the situation. I'd imagine (and hope!) you'd be able to cancel the membership as 'not your fault'.

But disagree that your 'best' bet being to call the council next time (Sorry!). It's an option but I ALWAYS ask what their cancelling policy is before I join any gym and some will let you cancel if you move away, so you don't necessarily need to go on a 1mth membership/payg...

But right now, IMO, you need to get in touch with your current gym asap...
    :jBaby girl born 3rd October 2012:j
  • Anyone with any LA Fitness issues then email mark.stevenson at LAFitness.co.uk

make sure you email photocopies and proof of postage and have names from contact centre

hope this helps
  • danlojodanlojo Forumite
    564 Posts
    You should be ok cancelling as Duncan is very pro Forces personnel :D
    Life is a rollercoaster.....ya just gotta ride it:whistle:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides