MOT Requirement

Options
SueC_2
SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I can't believe this has never been an issue before in my 25+ year driving history, but apparently it hasn't been, as I don't know the answer!

In the past my MOT, car insurance and tax disc have all expired during the same month. No problem.

Last year however I was a bit strapped for cash, so only took out a 6 month tax disc. Which means I now find myself in the position where my MOT is about to expire, even though I have 6 months' tax left to run, and a full year's insurance.

So, my question is... am I legally obliged to get my car MOT'd now, or can I leave it 6 months until I need to re-tax my car?

I have no intention of not getting it done if it needs doing, but it seems a bit daft doing it if it doesn't need doing!

Thanks all.

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to get your car mot'd on or before the expiry date or you will be breaking the law if you use it on a public road. The police anpr cameras can afaik pick this up and you may get a tug if you dont get it done.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    tax, insurance and MOT are all separate. You need them all valid to drive a car but they don't go together, so yes you do need to have it done now if you're going to drive it.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Before the doom merchants get in ....... your insurance will still be valid but the value of the car may be seriously reduced and any claim could reflect this value.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 September 2011 at 9:22PM
    Options
    SueC wrote: »
    I can't believe this has never been an issue before in my 25+ year driving history, but apparently it hasn't been, as I don't know the answer!

In the past my MOT, car insurance and tax disc have all expired during the same month. No problem.

:rotfl:That takes some doing.

As others have said, you need a new MoT when or before the old one expires.
  • SueC_2
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    :rotfl:That takes some doing.

I know, I'm quite impressed at what I seem to have achieved without even trying.

Just imagine what I could do if I set my mind to it......
  • kenny_e
    Options
    SueC wrote: »

Last year however I was a bit strapped for cash, so only took out a 6 month tax disc. Which means I now find myself in the position where my MOT is about to expire, even though I have 6 months' tax left to run, and a full year's insurance.

You may find the insurance is invalid because the vehicle is unroad worthy / not to MOT standards.:j( no MOT certificate )
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kenny_e wrote: »
    You may find the insurance is invalid because the vehicle is unroad worthy / not to MOT standards.:j( no MOT certificate )

And you might not, OP.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Your existing MOT will tell you when you need to renew your MOT Certificate, and will give you the earliest date.

Your car needs an MOT certificate at all times to be legal on the road, and you will be pulled by ANPR police if you don't have one.

As for it not being an issue before - it may not have been for you but it has arisen only a few million times before by other people who thought that they may have found a loophole in the law.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Your car needs an MOT certificate at all times to be legal on the road, and you will be pulled by ANPR police if you don't have one.

And, if stopped, you'll probably get a £60 fixed penalty (no points).
  • SueC_2
    Options

As for it not being an issue before - it may not have been for you but it has arisen only a few million times before by other people who thought that they may have found a loophole in the law.

I think you perhaps misunderstood me... I meant that the renewal dates for my tax, MOT and insurance have all coincided in the past so I never had to think through whether I needed an MOT independently of the tax and insurance.

For the record, I have never, and do not intend to, drive illegally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure