Replies

• edited 26 September 2011 at 2:35PM
    myrtleturtlemyrtleturtle Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 September 2011 at 2:35PM
    you are correct about PDFs

the vouchers that should not be abused( not that any should be) are the safecoupons/ones with individual iD PIN numbers , you can/should only print a MAX. of 2 of these on 1 pc

so using multis/copies of iD PIN ones could've been the problem
    but saying that some have access to more that 1 pc and get more coupons that way ( rightly or wrongly)
    Yes, but the honey shreddies voucher was a pdf document with everyone using the exact same voucher. When it was posted on MSE it was stated that you could print off the coupon multiple times.

The article refers to printing the same voucher. If different companies have different policies on re-printing and using vouchers how are we supposed to know if its allowed on not?
  • Well according to this news article http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2041963/Money-vouchers-crackdown-Shoppers-face-convictions-abusing-Tesco-Clubcard-Sainsbury-deals.html?ito=feeds-newsxml people have actually been convicted and given non-custodial sentences for coupon fraud.
    "One thing that is different, and has changed here, is the self-absorption, not just greed. Everybody is in a hurry now and there is a 'the rules don't apply to me' sort of thing." - Bill Bryson
  • Section 16 of the 1968 Theft Act: "Obtaining a Pecuniary Advantage by Deception. - A person who by any deception dishonestly obtains for himself or another any pecuniary* advantage shall on conviction on indictment, be liable to a imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years"

So this woman has been arrested and cautioned...?

Anyone care to tell us then why the likes of Ed Balls and numerous other members of parliament haven't had the same?

Perhaps she was trying to wash her moat....... and I don't mean Roul either.
  • irrelevantirrelevant Forumite
    257 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I remember printing off one coupon (from Borders, ISTR) that was a manual "cashier, deduct £2" type one. But it was just a plain HTML web-page - dead easy to save off, amend, and suddenly it said "deduct £200" ... Never printed it (indeed, I never even used the original!) but it struck me as somewhat insecure!
  • edited 26 September 2011 at 4:51PM
    DelBoyPhilDelBoyPhil Forumite
    875 Posts
    edited 26 September 2011 at 4:51PM
    Annie Swift, chief executive of the Institute of Promotional Marketing which represents companies that issue money off coupons, said that the criminal prosecution set a precedent.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2041963/Money-vouchers-crackdown-Shoppers-face-convictions-abusing-Tesco-Clubcard-Sainsbury-deals.html#ixzz1Z4tb7sdS

It has not and thats incorrect. Taken a caution does not. It has to goto a crown court.
    rickbonar wrote: »
    Section 16 of the 1968 Theft Act: "Obtaining a Pecuniary Advantage by Deception. - A person who by any deception dishonestly obtains for himself or another any pecuniary* advantage shall on conviction on indictment, be liable to a imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years"

So this woman has been arrested and cautioned...?

Anyone care to tell us then why the likes of Ed Balls and numerous other members of parliament haven't had the same?

Perhaps she was trying to wash her moat....... and I don't mean Roul either.

Totally Agree,

If breaking the terms and condition is breaking the law then why do tesco take sainsburys and boots discount vouchers they both say they are only to be used in a boots store?
  • anikaanika Forumite
    289 Posts
    Ha, totally agree DelBoy, its one rule for one and another for all the rest!
  • Well, to get £150 discount from "several" coupons means either they must have been very high-value coupons or she must have printed an awful lot more than "several".
  • "Joining up to sites with fake names and emails for the vouchers may considered by some to be morally wrong but I don't see how this could be flagged up as fraudulent at store level as each voucher/coupon is individual and unique"

errr you serious? Morally wrong?

Fraud defintion = Obtaining goods or services by deception

I think that changing your name, e-mail address is deception dont you.

This site has its benefits and the coupons money off are brilliant, hwoever the hard core minority (who seem to have more time than most on their hands) ruin it for all, look at Tesco DTD the whole campaign ended due to the sad folk creating spreadsheets to abuse the system!
    That spreadsheet was a thing of beauty :D
    If Tesco's marketing team are really that stupid then I and many others were always going to razz the azz out of it.
    Also, to compound that stupidity they accept Asda's Price Guarantee. In effect saying, shop elsewhere and if we were cheaper you can use their voucher here:rotfl::rotfl:
    AKA; Mad, MM, MM5, Madicles :cool: ©
    Shin: Device for finding furniture in the dark :p©
    Elite 11+ fundraising total for Make-a-Wish £682 :j:A
  • The person that got caught should have taken it to crown court. Misredemption is not illegal but i noticed they used different names, which may not be good.

I wonder if you used £150 in your name if you would be breaking the law?
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why are people saying they are sorry for this woman? Will they still feel sorry for her when the supermarkets just refuse to take any coupons because of abuse?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides