What is the Best combi boiler

Options
124»

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Would not fit or recommend a Baxi product. Many manufacturers are now offering 5 years warranties but always check the terms and conditions...it will be a bit of an eyeopener for some folks.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • heating-eng
    Options
    Would not fit or recommend a Baxi product. Many manufacturers are now offering 5 years warranties but always check the terms and conditions...it will be a bit of an eyeopener for some folks.

Canucklehead

Baxi boilers are very good if they are installed correctly.
    most of the faults i have found with any boilers are installation faults.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Baxi boilers are very good if they are installed correctly.
    most of the faults i have found with any boilers are installation faults.

Regardless of the standard of the installation many boilers fail prematurely as the result of component or assembly defects....several names spring to mind including Baxi Potterton and Ideal.
    Unfortunately, in this market, too many RGIs are cutting corners to offer the cheapest quotes and too many customers,guided solely by price, don't know what constitutes a 'Best Practice' installation.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • heating-eng
    Options
    Regardless of the standard of the installation many boilers fail prematurely as the result of component or assembly defects....several names spring to mind including Baxi Potterton and Ideal.
    Unfortunately, in this market, too many RGIs are cutting corners to offer the cheapest quotes and too many customers,guided solely by price, don't know what constitutes a 'Best Practice' installation.

Canucklehead
    I have fitted many baxi boilers over the years and I have also got a baxi 24 platinum in one of my properties and I have never have any problems at all.
    I have a Worcester in my house that's 3 years old and it's had lots of new parts, all none water related (pcb,s etc)
  • TZT
    TZT Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, I have not posted before so please bear with me!

We are renovating our home and need a new combi boiler. My plumber has recommended a Main38, he says it's as good as a Valiant Ecotech but about £500 cheaper; when I looked on the Internet it seems Main is part of the Baxi group and it seems there are mixed opinions on this forum as to the reliability of Baxi? I believe that the plumber will install the boiler correctly/properly as he comes with good recommendations but i have not replaced a boiler before so have no personal experience to rely on!

I have only heard of megaflow (?) and Valient boilers but don't really know anything about them. All I want is an good quality efficient boiler that will last, I don't need a top brand as the thing will be in a cupboard!

I guess I don't want to buy a boiler equivalent of an Audi when I can get a VW for less!

Any advice gratefully received.
  • heating-eng
    Options
    TZT wrote: »
    Hi, I have not posted before so please bear with me!

We are renovating our home and need a new combi boiler. My plumber has recommended a Main38, he says it's as good as a Valiant Ecotech but about £500 cheaper; when I looked on the Internet it seems Main is part of the Baxi group and it seems there are mixed opinions on this forum as to the reliability of Baxi? I believe that the plumber will install the boiler correctly/properly as he comes with good recommendations but i have not replaced a boiler before so have no personal experience to rely on!

I have only heard of megaflow (?) and Valient boilers but don't really know anything about them. All I want is an good quality efficient boiler that will last, I don't need a top brand as the thing will be in a cupboard!

I guess I don't want to buy a boiler equivalent of an Audi when I can get a VW for less!

Any advice gratefully received.
    Main is a poor quality boiler, valliant or Worcester Bosch are best, baxi are ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport