We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Decent containers

Al_Mac
Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I want some decent containers for growing veg in. Most garden centres have planters for plants and are small and exspensive.

Any suggestions for where I can get decent sized planters from/ I'd quite like wooden ones.

Thanks

Al

Comments

• skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Poundland had large green and terracotta coloured plastic containers. Also had narrow windowsill sized ones. I grew carrots and spring onions in mine last year.
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    You can also try your local council. When ours changed over to wheely bins, they collected up all the old fashioned big round plastic ones. I got half a dozen for a song (literally :rotfl: )
    I cut the tops off, slit a bit of old garden hose along its length and stuck it around the top, then painted the whole lot with some stone coloured paint into which I added some sand for texture. They look just like the mega expensive tubs you buy in garden centres.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Ah, sorry, I see you want wooden ones.
    In that case, go skip hunting and snaffle all the odd bits of wood you can find (pallets are great). Then if you are handy at all with a saw and screwdriver, it's a comparitively easy job to build your own. Remember to line them with plastic bin bags though, as they do rot if not protected.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • foxybabe
    foxybabe Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    what size containers are best for veg? At our local instore, they had some really big ones for just ove £1 but I wasn't sure whether they would be too big.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance....
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Al_Mac wrote:
    I want BIG ones, about 4ft by 1.5ft, probably 2. Probably be called troughs :)

I wanted some around this size late last year, couldnt find anything like it at a sensible price. Ended up getting some wood from wickes and making my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure