Find free wireless hotspots around the UK

Options
13»

Comments

• Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are plenty of small cafes and bars which offer it free, too, but the only big chains I know about are Wetherspoons, (who, incidentally, have just sent me some vouchers for reduced-price drinks and meals), and McDonalds.

Go to the link below and scroll down to find out which McDonalds restaurants have free wi-fi access. (The restaurant locator opens up in a pop-up window, so you'll need to allow pop-ups for that site.)

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/default.aspx?f=y&p=freewifi&s=companyinfo

Call me a philistine, but I happen to think Mickey D's freshly ground coffee is pretty good, and it's a helluva lot cheaper than all those posh coffee places. Also, you're unlikely to be hassled if your surfing session lasts longer than your drink. Sure, the ambiance isn't the greatest, but hey, it's in the warm, you've got coffee, the internet, a convenient loo... what more do ya need? :)

Here's the wi-fi page from the Wetherspoons website:
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubs/our-pubs-your-pubs/discover-wetherspoon.php#free-wifi

Marigold
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • phil7445
    Options
    Wetherspoons is now unlimited totally free with no need for vouchers. Just open up your internet browser and The Cloud page opens up with the username and password to use. :-D
  • lm07
    lm07 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Options
    I used it at one of the Lloyd's bars (part of the Wetherspoons chain) but they had signs on the monitors it's only 30 minutes. But I checked with bar staff who said you could use it for as long as. And I did, some 2 hours! Did buy some food and a drink though.
  • phil7445
    phil7445 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It used to be only for 30 minutes so they must have forgotten to take the old signs down. :-)
  • lm07
    Options
    you'd think so phil but it was actually part of their tv adverts. i'm just glad i had read this thread and asked someone there.
  • lm07
    Options
    Saw an advert for this recently,had thought I had seen it here before on MSE but couldn't find the thread.....anyway it's available throughout the train but haven't used it myself. the full details are on their website:

http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/Onboard-Our-Trains1/In-your-carriage/WiFi---Internet-Facilities/
  • fender62
    Options
    redsweenydog mentioned using there mobile in wetherspoons, i have an n95 how did they setup the phone to use the pubs free wifi, what settings etc in laymens terms in phone settings?
  • sazzav
    Options
    There are plenty of small cafes and bars which offer it free, too, but the only big chains I know about are Wetherspoons, (who, incidentally, have just sent me some vouchers for reduced-price drinks and meals), and McDonalds.

Go to the link below and scroll down to find out which McDonalds restaurants have free wi-fi access. (The restaurant locator opens up in a pop-up window, so you'll need to allow pop-ups for that site.)

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/default.aspx?f=y&p=freewifi&s=companyinfo

Call me a philistine, but I happen to think Mickey D's freshly ground coffee is pretty good, and it's a helluva lot cheaper than all those posh coffee places. Also, you're unlikely to be hassled if your surfing session lasts longer than your drink. Sure, the ambiance isn't the greatest, but hey, it's in the warm, you've got coffee, the internet, a convenient loo... what more do ya need?

I work on the road and regulary park up in a McDonalds car park to use the Wifi - it works from there so there's no need to go in and spend money if you don't want!!
    :xmastree: :xmassign:
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Add Subway to the list of free zones now:T

Handy indeed although my nearest Subway is next door to a Mickey D's:rolleyes: you think they could of put it somewhere else and spread the free access wider:rotfl:
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • Pentaqua
    Options
    I'm a wifi virgin! Coming back to UK for a few days armed with laptop. My dial-up is Telefonica in Spain (Broadband hasn't hit my village yet) so can't use mother's BT phone line. If I sit outside McDonalds or inside Wetherspoon etc etc, will I automatically be connected to www and how do I pay for my e-mail downloads?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure