PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Sour Cream to Thicken Red Wine Sauce?

Options
Hi,

I recently tried a Lamb and Red wine sauce in the SC. It was nice but the sauce abit watery! I've been trying to research what I can use to thicken the sauce and the only thing I can find it sour cream? Would this be okay to add before serving so it doesn't boil?:confused:
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!

Comments

• apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never used sour cream to thicken sauce .. so I can't advise on this. What I do is use a little cornflour (two or three teaspoons) mixed with water stirred into the sauce mix over a low heat. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring the sauce and it will thicken. I get Asda Smartprice Cornflour (26p a box - near the stock cubes) and it works well with gravies (e.g. when making sausage casserole).
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Update - just pour the liquid from the slowcooker into a pan to do this (thicken with cornflour). Yesterday I did pheasant in a stock and elderberry jelly liquid. OH took pheasant out of the slowcooker and pulled the meat off the bird whilst I took the liquid and thickened it with the cornflour. It made a lovely sauce to pour over the meat.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    You could try thickening the sauce with rice (cooking and pulverising some rice then stir it in) - I prefer the taste to cornflour's gloopiness.
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    I either make a roux by rubbing equal quantaties of plain flour and butter together then adding that to the sauce and cooking til it thinkens and the flour taste is gone or else I just add some gravy granules. If I was doing a red wine sauce I'd probably go with the gravy granules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport