Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Help getting public liability insurance for a one off charity event

Options
Hi, I'm putting together a kids fun day for charity and I need personal liability insurance as I don't think I'll be covered by the venue as it's my event and I can't go under the charities either apparently as I'm not an employee. Can anyone give me any advice where I can get some? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bit confused by this: if you're organising something in the name of a particular charity then a) you need to have their permission and b) if you've got their permission, then they ought to be able to either ensure that your event is covered by their insurance OR give you some advice on how to get 'personal' cover - or is 'insurance' just one of the things on a checklist they've sent you when you've asked for their help / advice?

What sort of things do you plan to offer at this day? In other words, how high is the risk? And are you organising this completely alone, or is there a group involved?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • RaeWads
    Options
    I'm organising the event completely alone for my local hospice, I do have permisson and they are very supportive but say that they can't advise me on the insurance. I know that the event needs to be covered by public liability insurance and that I need to fill out a form for health and safety. The risk isn't very high, it'll be like a school fete with stools with games and a cake sale. I'm also planning on having entertainers but they will have their own business insurance to cover them. The event is being held in a church but I don't think that their insurance would cover me as I'm not a member of the parish.
    Thanks for getting back to me with a reply, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • JohalaReewi
    Options
    We found single event insurance can be quite expensive and it was cheaper to get an annual policy for charities.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd ask the venue, it's probable that they can extend their insurance cheaper than you can get your own.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • burgeltz
    Options
    Actually, getting the venue to extend their insurance may not be an option. Many venues require you to have your own liability coverage. I've used specialeventinsurance.com, which made it pretty easy to get a policy in place. It cost me around $160. There are others out there as well. You can Google it.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    burgeltz wrote: »
    Actually, getting the venue to extend their insurance may not be an option. Many venues require you to have your own liability coverage. I've used specialeventinsurance.com, which made it pretty easy to get a policy in place. It cost me around $160. There are others out there as well. You can Google it.

As I said, it may be cheaper to get a annual policy instead of a single event policy. We were being quoted that sort of money for a single event but when we went for an annual policy it was half the price. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure