PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bed Tent

Options
My son would love a tent to go over his bed, like the ones they do in ikea. These ones are not badly prices but the fittings are for their own beds and won't fit my sons bunk.

So I thought about making one. The material part is easy enough but what do you suggest to make the arches?

Hubby suggested real tent poles but I don't think they would bend enough and would be a bit thick.

Comments

• LMCD
    LMCD Posts: 649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what type of bed has your son got? mid sleeper etc? could you make it more so that it drapes from the ceiling n then join it to the bed somehow?
  • boiler_man
    boiler_man Posts: 377 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2011 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Had a look on ebay and several of the Ikea bed tents on there. They use tent type poles to make theirs arch.

Alternatively why not suspend two poles/batons from ceiling and drape material over them down to the bed.

Or you could use a canopy or mosquito net frame to hang the material from which would feel more teepee style inside.
  • outofmoney
    Options
    It's a shorty bunk 199-6611565A70UC495856T.jpg Sorry about the small pic!

Not thought about hanging from ceiling...tend to think princesses with that, but guess it could work. We have low ceilings so not too much of a problem.
  • JulieGeorgiana
    JulieGeorgiana Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 17 September 2011 at 8:10PM
    Options
    My son has a bunk, I sewed velcro tabs to panels of material and attached to the top and sides of the frames and it opened in the middle, but sealed by velcro. We took them down to wash them easily.
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • outofmoney
    Options
    Thanks Julie. If my son was on the bottom bunk I would do exactly that but he is on the top so no frame to use.
  • lickylonglips
    Options
    teenage boys make their own bed tents....!!!
  • outofmoney
    Options
    Haha...My son certainly can and he isn't quite a teenager yet! But he is autistic and has no idea what or why things happen. One reason why it would be good for him to have some privacy :P
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    Such a pity. My son was on the top bunk when I made it, he swapped for ages after. But both bunks were his, unless we had guests.

I have a friend who used a shower rail to hang something similar on (like at hospitals).
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can use hoops of alkathene piping, which is that stuff they use for water (blue) or gas (yellow) pipes into your house. I use it for supporting nets on the allotment. Where to get small amounts? Skips or building sites, normally.
    Val.
  • jackieglasgow
    Options
    What about one of those shower curtain rails, you can get rectangular ones I am sure. X
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure