PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with lentils???

Options
I like food with lentils in, but have no idea what to do with them. Do you need to pre-soak/boil them before cooking?
Are there any fab recipes for lentils?
Can I make a lentil curry in my SC?

So far I haven't had much luck with my SC, eveything is so watery, it's a bit yuk.

Comments

• jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i bought some green lentils other day. can't remember what for now. anyway i make making a bulk loads of chilli on thursday and wondered if i could add them to this. so anyway i ddi. i make the chilli as i do and added about 4 hand fulls of green lentil's then i let it simmer in the pot for about 3 hours very very low heat. and it is gorgeous. ok so the chiili now has very little meat in as the lentils kinda took over. but it is so delish. will def be trying this again. and i have also frozen the chilli down .

i would imagine it would be very easy to cook my chilli in a slow cooker only because i let it cook for so long slowly.but i would say brown the mince first before it goes into the slow cooker.
  • vixtress
    vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i cant take credit for it but i did read a recipe last night on here for a lentil flan that sounded delicious.....hang on and i will see if i can find it......
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
  • vixtress
    vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    here it is, hope i am ok to copy it
    original recipe by THRIFTLADY,

Bulchy my lentil flan is something I make up as I go along, so no exact recipe I'm afraid, but this is roughly how it goes.

Make pastry and line a flan dish/tin.
    Cook a mugful of red lentils with some water until they are soft and mushy.
    Combine with lots of grated cheese, dried herbs, chopped onion/leeks, a squirt of tomato paste and a teaspoonful of marmite.
    Pile into the flan case and bake for 20-25 mins at about 200 (you might need to cover the filling with foil - or you could bake the pastry first with baking beans)

Lentil and cheese loaf is basically the same thing but without the pastry and with breadcrumbs added to make it stiffer. Bake in a loaf tin or shape into a loaf shape on a baking tray.

i thought this sounded lovely
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
  • divorcingjack
    Options
    I'm making lentil soup in the SC at the moment, which is really easy and healthy.

I just chop up some onions, one carrot, tomatoes, a couple of tins of tomatoes +juice, veg stock and throw some red lentils in. If you like your soup really thick, you can add loads. Also nice is adding some fried bacon chunks if you have them. Perhaps some bay leaves as well, and salt and pepper obviously.

I leave mine cooking for about 5-6 hours and then liquidise it. Great for work!

Good luck,

dj
    Self-building fund :eek:: £4259
    Savings target: 1 rainy year 10000/10000 :j

WINS 2011: Briggs & Reilly Suitcase, Nail Polish, Book, AEGON international tennis tickets x2, 4* trip to London including Michelin Star dinner :j
  • AnnieH
    AnnieH Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, they sound yummy - especially the flan! I'll try that in the week:)
  • aussielle
    aussielle Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    This could be a meal in itself, a sort of veggie cottage pie, but we like it with fish.

Ingredients

pre cooked red lentils
    pre soaked and cooked aduki beans
    large pan of mashed potato
    large leek
    couple of cloves of fresh garlic
    tin of chopped tomatoes
    spoon of sugar
    level tbs vegetable bouillon powder
    grated cheese

Method

Gently saute leek and garlic until soft. Add tomatoes, pre cooked red lentils and aduki beans, sugar and bouillon powder. Transfer into oven proof dish, cover with mashed potato and grated cheese and cook in oven until cheese has melted and top goes a little crispy...it's delicious.
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • aussielle
    aussielle Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    p.s

It freezes well too
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    No one has distinguished so far between split lentils and whole lentils.

Basically, the bigger the lentil, the longer the cook time. In particular, split red lentils are very quick to cook and you can make a dahl or curry in virtually no time! :D
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    You need less liquid for cooking in a slow cooker because it doesn't evaporate as quickly. As a rough guide you only need about 1/2 - 3/4 of the liquid you would use in a non-SC recipe.

Some people use cornflour to thicken the sauce, I can't say how successful this is because I haven't tried it myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure