PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you stew your apples??

Options
Just been given 5 from my next door neighbour & wandering how you do yours. I'll keep it in the freezer till winter time!

Comments

• HannahP_2
    Options
    Mmmmm! My mum gave me a load:p and I can only make so many crumbles in one sitting so I peeled them and chopped them so they were still big chunks and chucked them in a saucpan - I didn't add any water with mine as the juice will come out once you add some sugar. Add as much as you want to depending on the type/sweetness of apple.

Enjoy
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 14 September 2011 at 3:54PM
    Options
    I peel core and slice or dice roughly. put in pan with a little water and cook on a medium to low heat until mushy. cook then bag and freeze.
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both! Even better - she's just given me a bag of 7 pears!! So I'm gonna stew them both & look forward to making Eve's Pudding this winter! With homemade custard....mmmmm!
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    I peel core and slice or dice roughly. put in pan with a little water and cool on a medium to low heat until mushy. cool then bag and freeze.

That's what I do:)
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    If I am making apple sauce I just chop the whole apple into chunks and put it into a microwaveable bowl with a tiny bit of water, then cover and cook until soft - how long depends on how much apple you have. Once cooked I put the whole lot through a mouli legumes and this makes lovely smooth but thick apple sauce for serving with pork or as a desert. And when you see the little tiny bit of residue, hardly any waste!
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    peel slice and poach gently in a very little water and a couple of dollops of runny honey delicious when cool I freeze in portions for later on in the winter
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs Chip - by "whole apple" you mean including skin and core? I have so many apples to process that it would be worth me getting a mouli if I could stop peeling and coring
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmm got a pile of foraged wild pears and apples (some are small and look wild-some are bigger ad they probably are from trees that came from disgarded fruit?-all from local public areas).

If i could do something that saved me the time of coreing and peeling that would be useful.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• M.E.
    M.E. Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I place my whole, (really bad bits chopped off!) washed apples.... let's face it this year they are tiny... into the slow cooker. Add some water and .... well.. slow cook them for however long they take to get soft.
    Let them cool. Potato-masher them, then shove them through a sieve using a wooden spoon.
    Grot goes on the compost heap.
    The puree goes into bags to freeze for apple crumble or add to yoghurts.
  • lillylei
    Options
    If I didnt want to add any sugar (think for diets etc) would it be better to use eating apples rather than cooking apples or would I be ok with some <shhhh> sweetener?

Im thinking of making sun, adding sultanas and cinnamon as a yummy treat ( i love stewed apple)
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure