We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
London to Newcastle - any tips?
Hello,
I thought this might be worth a try. My girlfriend has just moved to Newcastle, and I'm currently in London. If I want to see her anytime in the next few weeks, it looks like it's going to cost about £70 by train, which I unfortunately don't have at the moment.
I would take the bus, but at 7 hours, it would rather wipe out the weekend - even if I went up Friday evening, I'd be there so late that most of Saturday would be a write-off.
Does anyone have any good tips for cheap travel from London to Newcastle and back again, preferably that work travelling out in Friday eve and back on Sunday eve?
Thanks very much for any help!
Cpfoxhunt
I thought this might be worth a try. My girlfriend has just moved to Newcastle, and I'm currently in London. If I want to see her anytime in the next few weeks, it looks like it's going to cost about £70 by train, which I unfortunately don't have at the moment.
I would take the bus, but at 7 hours, it would rather wipe out the weekend - even if I went up Friday evening, I'd be there so late that most of Saturday would be a write-off.
Does anyone have any good tips for cheap travel from London to Newcastle and back again, preferably that work travelling out in Friday eve and back on Sunday eve?
Thanks very much for any help!
Cpfoxhunt
0
Comments
-
Isn't there a national express coach that runs through the night? If you buy the ticket far enough in advance you can get a good price. Or whatabout that megabus service?
Hitch hiking?! Seriously though - if train is too expensive then flying's out of the question so you're left with the road, and coach is going to be the cheapest.0 -
East coast are offering £15 single if you book 12 weeks in advance, travel when they specify and are lucky http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/welcome-landing/great-value-for-all/0
-
Is Sunderland near enough to Newcastle?
Just £3 each way on the Metro.
Grand Central Trains offer £19 Advance Singles from London to Sunderland.
Not cheaper than EastCoast's offering, but an alternative if availability isn't suitable.
Eligible for a 16-25 railcard?
If so, that £19 fare reduces to £12.55.
Will also get a third off East Coast's offerings mentioned above.
Get 10% off a 16-25 railcard here.0 -
I wouldnt bother,shes probably with these by now...
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=geordie+lads&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=653&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=ayi1NhsB368bsM:&imgrefurl=http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/tv/2011/05/24/geordie-shore-reality-stars-strip-off-to-kick-off-mtv-s-new-show-115875-23154268/&docid=ZM7qsQYvpDUtZM&w=631&h=396&ei=UaduTqGON4et8QPv6PHqCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=584&vpy=202&dur=930&hovh=178&hovw=284&tx=158&ty=96&page=11&tbnh=148&tbnw=229&start=158&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:158Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.
Got a huge Buzz out of it.0 -
Thanks very much to Dacouch and Wealdrom for the suggestions - I'll look into both of these. It's just a pity that I was going to try and go in slightly less than a month!0
-
Get a couple of mates to go that have a car and share the petrol?
Might defeat spending time with your girlfriend though.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards