PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help where can I buy waxed jam papers + covers

Options

Comments

• Margaret52129
    Options
    jennyjelly wrote: »
    The Range sell them.

Personally I don't bother with them if I'm using screw top jam jars and have never had a problem. If you are using the cellophane tops they are necessary though. Also make sure you soak the cellophane circles in warm water long enough to soften them up otherwise you won't get a really tight seal.

I pass The Range on the way home so I could call in tomorrow. I thought you had to use the wax paper/cellophane top, then after the jam had cooled, you could then put the screw lid back on. I think all my jam jars have screw tops! Co-incidentally, my OH said he didn't think it was necessary but I thought how would he know!!!! I daren't tell him he was right!

It will save a few pennies - I'm finding it pretty expensive with all the extra sugar/heat etc - but it will be worth it in the end.

Thanks jennyjelly (great name for helping me with the jam!)
  • Margaret52129
    Options
    bluebag wrote: »
    My Wilk*nsons had them, really pretty labels too. Don't remember the price sadly, but they were with all the new pastel coloured kitchen utensils in a perspex display type thingy.

We have a Wilkinsons in town, but not going to be able to get there before the weekend due to my working hours and I'll need them before then. Thank you though - may be able to call in to look at the labels as I could put them on afterwards.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I've successfully used both baking parchment and cling film instead of wax discs - you just fill the pots to the rim instead of leaving a gap! as for covers - I got fed up of hunting fabric (gingham seemed to go out of fashion a few years back) and used paper doilies instead with ribbon and it looks very pretty!
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I got my last packet at Morrisons but have used Lakeland previously.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    . I thought you had to use the wax paper/cellophane top, then after the jam had cooled, you could then put the screw lid back on. I think all my jam jars have screw tops!

Oh, I don't use discs if the jar has a sound screw lid and an undamaged inner lining. (If you're using the jar for chutney or pickles it HAS to have a plastic lining.) I screw the lid on when the jam is still hot and you can hear the safety discs on the lids popping inwards as the jam cools. Makes an excellent seal.
    Val.
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    Hobbycraft sell them, but near me, there is a small kitchen shop in Winchester who sells them reasonable. I find most kitchen shops are the best.
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The stationers here in Fordingbridge, where my DS1 works on Saturdays, sells them. He was listing some of the more obscure things they sell and mentioned them.:D
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Options
    I've had them from dunelm before
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our post office sell them, find them in the strangest places. eBay, wilkinson, Yorkshire trading co, pound stores sometimes
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Margaret52129
    Options
    valk_scot wrote: »
    Oh, I don't use discs if the jar has a sound screw lid and an undamaged inner lining. (If you're using the jar for chutney or pickles it HAS to have a plastic lining.) I screw the lid on when the jam is still hot and you can hear the safety discs on the lids popping inwards as the jam cools. Makes an excellent seal.

This sounds excellent - thank you Val!

I'll still get a pack of the wax paper stuff as we usually have a half jar or two per batch! I'm really dreadful an estimating how far the jam goes and end up with silly amounts left over in a large jar even though I try to keep small jars for that purpose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure