Switch or not to switch, that is the question!

Options
Ok, I am determined to get my head around gas and electric tarriffs. My current supplier is Southern Electric. I spoke to them today and they said that my gas usage for the past year is 7200 units and my electric is 1960. I am on a tarrif where I don't pay a standing charge and Southern Electric said there would be probably no savings if I changed this over. I would guess paying no standing tarrif would probably suit my lifestyle best as I'm hardly in, work 3 12 hour shifts per week and out most weekends.... I'm paying southern electric 17.5p per unit for the first 450 units per 6 months and 11.4p per unit thereafter for electric and 7.2p per unit for the first 1250 units per 6 months and 3.1p per unit thereafter for my gas. Just spole to energy helpline and they said eon was cheaper at no standing charge but i don't see how, the prices are the same per unit gas and 24.12 per unit for the first 450 units per 6 months and 10.01 thereafter.

I'm completely confused. The guy from SE said my electric use was quite low but i know my gas use is quite high.

Confused!

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    You just dont look at the unit rate.but all.other discounts like dual fuel and internet.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP please remove your duplicate post-already answered on the other one!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • OP the biggest factor is still likely to be whether you have switched away from the original Electricity supplier to your area.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi rachelandgrommit - At 7200 Gas kw a year and 1960 Elec kw, you are a relativey low user and it ain't necassarily so that you would be worse off with a daily standing charge - At the moment your 2500 high price Gas units a year are costing you £102.50, which would equate to a Daily Standing charge of 28p and there are DS tariffs out there which are less than this.

Enter your annual figures into the switchwithwhich comparision site, then press the 'Tariff' icon on the suppliers who list a saving, this bring up thier tariff in all it's fine detail directly alongside the detail of your present tariff with South. E.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure